Possible upgrading questions...Help!

TwistedSoundCo

So about 6 months ago my cousin gave me his old

alienware Area-51 7500-R4 (pre dell...it's from 06)

I finally got around to buying a nice monitor/speakers and setting it all up. For everyday use it is awesome. My old dell laptop is starting to fall apart and become incredibly slow, so that is now reserved for car tuning.

Anyways, I installed steam, and the counter-strike source/DOD-source pack, as well as the sims 3. I tried opening CS:Source and DOD:Source and it would appear to start launching, and then just stop and do nothing. I was doing some reading and figured it might be a steam issue. I tried to play sims and I get a notification that reads:

"Unable to start game

Device 0 cannot run this file
No supported video graphics card detected. Please check your system hardware"

Heres a list off the specs off the original invoice from 06.

EVGA NFORCE 680I SLI MB Motherboard
D-CORE 2 DUO 2.13 GHZ E6400 2M CACHE 1066MHZ PROCESSOR
PDP 1GB DDR2 LOW LATENCY PC-6400 AW96 MEMORY
SEAGATE 250GB SATA 3G 7200RPM 8MB CACHE NCQ SYSTEM DRIVE
EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E GRAPHICS PROCESSOR

So the sims box says I need a directx 9.0 compatible video card w 128MB of video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 2.0...under supported video cards are lsited:

NVIDIA GeForce series FX5900, and all NVIDIA G, GT, GTS, and GTX video cards.

As far as computer hardware goes, I'm a complete moron. Does it seem like this is an issue with the graphics card needing to be upgraded, or does it seem like a software issue (such as directx needing updating, windows service pack updating, etc.)?

I am trying to not throw a bunch of money and time into it, so if I can get away without upgrading/replacing a bunch of stuff, I would prefer to go that route. My cousin also said a while back he upgraded the RAM but its still only 2 gigs.

If the graphics card is fine for these games, any ideas on what to look into next? I'm lost.

MattyB

Welcome!

You will really need to upgrade you graphics and RAM. I don't know a great deal about the AW legacy systems but I would assume that your motherboard will still be compatible with the more recent graphics cards. If you don't want to spend much you could probably just go with a 500 series NVidia card (560,570,580) or a mid range 600 (650,660). They will most likely do the job although you may not be able to ramp all the settings up to max for more recent games.
You will need to find some more DDR2 RAM. I would suggest 8GB but 4 may be enough for what you want.

TwistedSoundCo

Thanks a ton. Yeah I was going to upgrade the ram anyways since its only got 2gb. Any idea if this motherboard has 2 slots or is it just one?

I foud a couple 8gb ram options (4x2) pretty cheap si ce its only ddr2 lol

Found a few of those graphics cards for 100 to 125 as well, not bad at all.