test

Power adapter

gwb21471

is this normal for my power adapter. When I play games or anything that makes the fans work hard my battery will go down with the power adapter plug in. The power adapter will get very warm. It never did this before. Has this happen to anyone else. Thanks for the help.

MattyB

To me it sounds like the power adapter wattage isn't high enough or the adapter is failing. If the machine isn't being supplied enough power then it will start drawing it from the battery.
Your required wattage will depend on your machine config but most 17" machines use the 240W adapter (the newer 17" laptops have higher power requirements though). You can use the pre-boot diagnostic in the boot menu (F12 while booting) to see how many Watts your adapter is supplying the machine. There will be a sticker on the adapter that will tell you what Wattage it should be.

gwb21471

To me it sounds like the power adapter wattage isn't high enough or the adapter is failing. If the machine isn't being supplied enough power then it will start drawing it from the battery.
Your required wattage will depend on your machine config but most 17" machines use the 240W adapter (the newer 17" laptops have higher power requirements though). You can use the pre-boot diagnostic in the boot menu (F12 while booting) to see how many Watts your adapter is supplying the machine. There will be a sticker on the adapter that will tell you what Wattage it should be.
It is a 240 watt. It's the one that came with it. I now i leave it plug in all the time. So I don't know if they wear out.

MattyB

Just check what the diagnostic says and if you can post a screenshot once it's completed it would help