test

Power Management / Stealth issue ??

JennyM

Hey all! :D

I bet u thought I was sorted by now, no posts for a few weeks :p heh heh! I wish! Just been snowed under with the kids school homeworks >.<

Sooo, you may remember I had my GTX460M replaced a month ago as it was dropping to 202MHz resulting in fps of 8 to 12, & poor video playback. Well, its still happening, although less often.

Here's what I've discovered....

I do NOT have my stealth settings enabled - ever. However, when this underclocking/throttling of the card occurs, if I press the stealth button to turn stealth ON, then turn it OFF, the card coreclock immediately jumps up to 569MHz. I don't even exit out of the game to do this, I just drop it down to desktop, when I go back into the game, mega fps, 70 - 90.

So, any thoughts on what my issue could be? I'd kinda like to try & sort it myself, given the fact that I've had 3 visits for this problem already, (1st visit - replace & upgrade card,
2nd visit - replace heatsink & paste, 3rd visit - replace card) so feeling a bit sheepish. :eek:

Thanks again,

Last edited:

AeonSoul

I don't really know, but like this it would seem like your power supply is failing to output the necessary power for the card unless you force it somehow. Could it be?
And just to be sure, by stealth settings are you referring to the AlienFX?

JennyM

Well hello Aeon, I see you've grown another level! Congratz!

The stealth settings I mean are just above the F1, F2, etc keys, there's touch symbols for ejecting discs, wireless, alien command center, sound, and the last one on the list is the picture of a speedometer - when u press it, it says on screen 'stealth mode on' then press it again & it says 'stealth mode off'. I've no idea what anyone would use this setting for, I know I never touch it.

Interesting idea about the power output, since this card is an upgrade from the original. It will give me something to go to the tech guys with, I think you could be onto something here. Thanks once again :)

AeonSoul

Oh, that stealth button is not present on my m17x r3 so I have no clue what that is :D
But yeah maybe since you upgraded the card it might actually be a power supply problem.
Let me know, glad I could be of any help.

JennyM

Well, its been two weeks and the problem hasn't happened again since. Not sure whats different... I have taken the battery out, but I always run it on mains power anyway, and 'most' of the time I do have battery out, unless I'm moving the laptop to another room and I put it in and forget to take it out again... I know there are different power settings for battery and mains power but I thought using the mains would override the battery power settings.... so basically I'm just waiting it out and hoping the issue won't return. :)

MattyB

What's this stealth mode?? Sounds cool and I want it!! :D

Is it something like what we have as Optimus these days? If so, maybe there was an update in windows which you installed which solved the problem without you knowing.

AeonSoul

Yeah regardless, power supply mode should have an higher priority on battery settings, so that shouldn't be the problem.

JennyM

I guess they took the stealth mode off the later rigs, MattyB, :p I don't know why they ever put it on, why on earth would anyone want to use it, all it does is put the lappy into low power state as far as i know....

As long as it stays fixed I'm golden :)

My younger son now wants an alienware laptop for christmas, >.< Looking at the M14x, watching for offers, wondering if i'm wise in the head - but they're just so darn pretty!

MattyB

I would keep an eye on the Dell Outlet if I were you! Good deals.

Happy to hear all is going well with your AW!

AeonSoul

Well I guess it removes the hassle of doing it inside the OS, but still not that big much of a deal.
Good luck on your future purchase, and yeah I'd follow Matty's advice if I were you, unless you're really into custimizing it by your needs, that should make you save some money, and you can always upgrade later.

JennyM

Thanks guys! I'd not thought of the outlet, had a peek tonight, no 14" but there's 4 of the 17" rigs. They seem to all have a 320gb hard drive apart from the one below... tho the processor in this one is a bit low is it? It is £1005 & has 2 hard drives for some reason... 2gb graphics too, wonder how often they get more products.... I know my kid would prefer a 17", it what his old HP one is... I reckon the 17" is gonna weigh an absolute tonne tho lol! For the money it seems a pretty good rig..?

•Alienware M17xR3
•Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
•Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
•8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600 MHz Memory (4 DIMMs)
•750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
•750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
•Optical Drive: 12.7x Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
•Display: 17.3-inch Wide FHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD
•Graphics: 2 GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M

AeonSoul

That's almost the same rig I got, apart the graphic card.
I can tell you the it runs smooth with everything.
The two hard drives are probably set for a RAID configuration, but you can always remove one and put an SSD in there if you need, otherwise that works like a beast nonetheless.

MattyB

The Dell Outlet is a great place to go for bargains. I think the M17x will be wayyyyy better than ordering a new M14x. Lugging a huge beast around will be character building for your boy. Just keep an eye out for scoliosis! :D

It's hard to know when they get new products. I keep an eye out on the Australian outlet store quite a bit (waiting for a dirt cheap X51 ;) ) and sometimes they put up 5 or more laptops in a day and then you don't see anymore for weeks!

They had M17x R4's with 675M's and 3d screens for $1400au a few months ago. I was tempted to buy all of them and sell them to my mates! :D