Problems with USB 3.0 ports

MattyB

Staff member
I'm having problems with my USB 3.0 ports on my M17x. They lose power sometimes while I have stuff plugged into them. I have to restart the machine to get them working. It is pretty random and has only happened 3 or 4 times in the past few months. Anyone else out there had any similar issues? I have contacted Dell but haven't heard back from them yet. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

Alienware-Frank_L

Hi Matty, let me help out with that.
What type of drive are you trying to plug in to the system?
Have a look at this article.
Please let us know on the outcome :)

Maelstrom

I used to have a problem with this with one of my old Vista Laptops. I never could get it fixed though and I eventually got rid of that thing so I don't know how to help you.

MattyB

Staff member
Hi Matty, let me help out with that.
What type of drive are you trying to plug in to the system?
Have a look at this article.
Please let us know on the outcome :)
Hi Frank,

I usually just have my mouse and a USB internet stick in them most of the time. If I'm using my external hard drive then I will swap one around for it. They have never lost power while I have had the external drive in them but if I am watching a movie straight off the external HDD, it has had stuttering problems and its crashed the movie a few times. That could be the (Toshiba) external HDD though. Otherwise, its just occasionally when my mouse and internet stick shut down due to no power. They will work fine if I then put them both into the 2.0 ports otherwise I have to restart.
Thanks for your help.

Alienware-Frank_L

Welcome,

Have you checked if your USB 3.0 driver is up to date yet? Check in here
Also make sure you use the USB 2.0 for your peripherals and the 3.0 for the HDD, it should work all together just fine.

Last edited:

yikes81

If you go into Advanced Power settings, there is an option for USB Settings. There is a section for USB selective suspend setting. I disabled both options for battery and plugged in.

MattyB

Staff member
Welcome,

Have you checked if your USB 3.0 driver is up to date yet? Check in here
Also make sure you use the USB 2.0 for your peripherals and the 3.0 for the HDD, it should work all together just fine.
Yeah I actually reinstalled the driver this morning. It already had the latest one but lets see how it goes over the next few weeks. Its pretty intermittent. I reinstalled the chipset too.

If you go into Advanced Power settings, there is an option for USB Settings. There is a section for USB selective suspend setting. I disabled both options for battery and plugged in.
Cheers, I will give that a try. What does it actually do?

yikes81

Cheers, I will give that a try. What does it actually do?
I think it actually cuts power to the USB ports to save electricity. I dunno, sometimes it justs goes screwy. Im not entirely sure if this will help. Let me know how you go.

MattyB

Staff member
Well it definitely could be that then since that's what it seems to be doing. I may wait and see if it happens again after I reinstalled the drivers and if it does I will try your idea.

yikes81

How did you go with this btw? Did you get this issue resolved? If so, what was the problem?

MattyB

Staff member
I had forgotten all about it actually. It hasn't happened since. Looks like reinstalling a few drivers sorted it all out. I will let you know if it happens again.

n13L5

I'd like to know the outcome of that too :)

One would hope USB power only gets cut when the notebook is running on battery...

MattyB

Staff member
Correct..... So far anyway. I never run my M17x on battery so it definitely wasn't that, unless something happened that made the laptop think it was running on the battery. The problem was intermittent and only happened a handful of times over a few months but if it does continue to happen, I will let you know.

Bobbbul

Just purchased M17x R3 and both 3.0 usb ports on the left side do not detect/load my seagate freeagent goflex 3.0 external drive. The "power" light comes on but does not appear on "my computer". It does work in both of the 2.0 ports on the right side! Any suggestion? I have downloaded/installed the driver update from Dell, but didn't fix the problem. ALIENWARE M17x R3 i7-2670QM 3.10Ghz

Last edited:

yikes81

Do other devices work with no problems on the USB 3.0 ports? Are you also able to test a different external HDD?

Bobbbul

As a matter of fact, I plugged it in a few minutes ago and it worked until I moved my laptop and then lost the connection. I tried plugging it again and it still does not make a connection. I have also tried another usb 2.0 drive and it works fine in all 4 usb ports.

Bobbbul

Thought about that, it is a little crimped by the micro plug, don't have another one but will buy and try.