Processor woes

TheDoctorIsIn

I have owned my Alienware Aurora R3 for a few years now, and it's starting to show its age in the processing department. In games such as Team Fortress 2, my GTX 670 SLI setup is more than capable of absolutely destroying the game graphics wise. However, the i5 2300 that was in it is getting to the point of "please make it stop" and will give me lows of 20 frames per second when minimal fighting can be going on in Team Fortress 2; and that's coming down from framerates of 130 fps (I have my framerate capped). I've since had to install configs and such that make the game look like it was made for the Playstation 2 in order to maintain 60+ fps. And even then, it still drops below that every now and then.

Long story short, I'm looking at a brand new i5 3570k, but there is one major thing preventing me from buying it as soon as I can afford it, and that's the fact that the 3570k is Ivy Bridge, while the 2300 is Sandy Bridge. Normally, a simple BIOS update would suffice, but after countless Google searches and scans on Dell's website, I can only find one BIOS update that was made for the 046MHW motherboard, and that was made back in 2011. I have looked high and low for answers elsewhere, but I'm only just now finding out about this website, where it would make a lot more sense asking instead of other places and lurking general PC discussion boards.

So my main question is this: Since the 3570k matches the socket type required for the 046MHW board, would it be compatible since it is Ivy Bridge? I've seen some people say that you would need a BIOS update, but since the last update for my board was almost a year before Ivy was released, I'm not so sure; while other people have said that since the socket type and all that is correct, it will work out of the box.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

~TheDoctorIsIn

holeyguy66

no ivy bridge cpu with the same socket is not compatible thats what made me swap motherboards. the last update for ours was Ao6 i believe. if you had a p-67 non dell board it would have been just a reflash bios and done. but i just dropped in an asus maximus V gene and called it a day.

jayhernandez7

First off, 20FPS WTF!? Have you ran a hardware test? Either way, since you're planning on upgrading, I would actually upgrade the motherboard as well. If you're not going to overclock, get the Intel i5-3570 and save a few dollars. Then again, if you are going to replace the motherboard and CPU, go with Haswell. It's newer, slightly faster and runs cooler.

Animal

I'd say get an i5 2500K. Very small difference in performance between it and a 3570K. Also, if you're not overclocking rather save some cash and go for the non K.

TheDoctorIsIn

[UPDATE]
So, as far as TF2 is concerned, after much fiddling, I have managed to find a way to get the graphics back up to where they were and stay above the 60 fps mark most of the time. However, this does not account for poor performance in, say, Battlefield 4. So I am still looking to upgrade.

Animal, I looked into the 2500k and the 3570k, and you are indeed correct. Currently, I'm looking at a Gigabyte motherboard (Z77, LGA 1155, SLI Compatible, ATX) for $160, and the 2500k seems to fluctuate a bit. The main price differences lie in whether I get a boxed and a non-boxed processor. What, exactly is the difference? It's obviously something fairly pricey, as price differences I'm seeing between the two are as much as almost $100. Would there be a difference in performance whether or not I get boxed vs. non-boxed?

I also forgot to mention in the OP that I am on a budget of around $350.

sway

I've got a great 3570k for $150 shipped. Chip overclocks like a dream and runs cool, used it less than a year.

tappin from the neXus 5

TheDoctorIsIn

So I've decided to go with Animal's suggestion and get a 2500k instead, because since the 2500k is Sandy bridge, rather than the 3570k being Ivy bridge, it is compatible with the 046MHW board, so by not getting a board, I will be saving almost $200 and will be getting roughly the same price. Saw a video showcasing the 2500k and how it was pushing 75 fps on ultra, which my rig can no doubt thrash. Thanks for the help, guys.