Project Blue Book modded r4 alx

After building several custom pcs i finally found an alienware cheap enough to pull the trigger on. I got an aurora r4 with a 3820, 32 gigs of ram, 2 hd 7950's crossfired and a 1 tb hdd.
20131117_021458.jpg
since it had a few scratches and was dusty i figured why not tear it apart and do some customizing. so i started off by painting the chasis ultra flat black.
20131215_181445.jpg
wrapping the panels in some black brushed aluminum.
20131215_190824.jpg
adding some EL wire for some lighting effects
20131215_205600.jpg
and i just orderd a evga gtx 780 classified (i know im an nvidia fan boy, plus classified goes great with my space ship theme), a 256 gb ssd, a Beng Q 24" 144hz monitor and a new corsair 850 watt psu.
I cant wait to get it together!

Thanks man! to remove the front panel there are 3 screws on the inside of the case to the front as soon as you remove the left side panel. 4 screws across the bottom. and after you remove the right upper, middle and lower panels there are 3 more screws. unplug the connectors from the motherboard and i/o boards and feed the wires through as you pull it off. the owners manual for the auroras are awesome for dis assembly of these things. it shows every screw and reference pics. downloaded the pdf from alienware and was greatly surprised usually they don't show crap but mad props to alienware for reference material.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

holeyguy havent you done a mobo swap in one of these cases before?

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
not really man. you just have to find a older version of cc that wont look for the factory mobo during install. i might have the file still saved. but im actually kinda unhappy with my v gene. the features are great but the on board sound cuts out. which i found a thread in asus forums showing i aint the only one. so after the first of the year im rma'ing the board.

That sucks man, Ive heard asus can be a real pain in the a** to deal with but have never had to myself. I love asus's products but dread if i ever have to deal with them. thats why i went with EVGA for my video card. You know anything about the factory mobo? i swear it looks like its made by msi!

Never mind i found it lol!! It is a re branded msi X79MA-GD45. I thought the choke looked like msi's military standard ones. I wonder if the bios will work off one of those and open up more overclocking features?

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
asus c/s isnt bad man. the v gene mobos are the only ones having the sound issue. other then that its flawless. i love asus mobos though i hgad an asus alife socket 939 in the first rig i ever built. thats right amd socket 939 athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz. running a gforce 9500gt. i still have that card too. and i love and i mean love ecgas c/s man. ive called them about the dumbest things about my titan and they answer it no questions asked. and wanna talk about fast call backs man blazing fast. im gonna stay evga gpus they also allow for after market cooling. along with liquid cooling. when i got my titan in thats the first thing i did was order my ek block and back plate. called before i installed the block to double check and they gave me the go ahead. just when you lc something if it leaks the warrenty is voided instatly

Got a new shipment of goodies to go in the rig today.
20131218_210358.jpg
20131218_214731.jpg
There she is in all her beauty the 780 classified!! This thing should be a power house!!
20131218_205722.jpg
and i got this bad boy to power it!! The alienware psu is a good one but it didnt have the 45 amps on the 12 volt line I needed. This one is rated at 70.8 so it should be plenty for a second card even!!

asus c/s isnt bad man. the v gene mobos are the only ones having the sound issue. other then that its flawless. i love asus mobos though i hgad an asus alife socket 939 in the first rig i ever built. thats right amd socket 939 athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz. running a gforce 9500gt. i still have that card too. and i love and i mean love ecgas c/s man. ive called them about the dumbest things about my titan and they answer it no questions asked. and wanna talk about fast call backs man blazing fast. im gonna stay evga gpus they also allow for after market cooling. along with liquid cooling. when i got my titan in thats the first thing i did was order my ek block and back plate. called before i installed the block to double check and they gave me the go ahead. just when you lc something if it leaks the warrenty is voided instatly
Good to know about asus cause i love the boards!! The last one i had was a z77 sabertooth with a 2600k and man i loved that thing! Evga is awesome i had 2 of there 670 ftw in sli and those cards destroyed everything!! They fixed my only complaint wich was the refrence style cooling!! loving the looks of the acx cooling on the classified cant wait to try it out!! I havent done any liquid cooling on the gpu yet. I think im going to base my next build around it though!! These kepler cards seem to clock wicked high on it since temperature is a huge factor on overclocks!

Yes it does. There is a switch on the side that lets you switch between the 2. incase you tank one you can at least fire it up. should come in handy lol! Sorry for the delay i got the ben q monitor in and man its awesome! Everything ive thrown at it so far ( metro 2033, boishock infinate, crysis 2, borderlands 2 and dishonored) all maxed graphics at 1920x1080 120hz no overclock yet slams at 120fps and not a glitch. I was a bit skeptical about 120 hz but now im sold lol. every move you make is fluid smooth! especially when you spin around with scope running its silky smooth. never noticed a stuter on the old asus monitor but it is there lol. love it!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
nice man. ive been looking at monitors but im gonna get a few ips. when i finally get 3 of what i want im gonna de-bezel.what type of ben-q. ive been looking at some asus and acer monitors. i love me some acers man i got a total of 4 and only 3 left working now

Its the xl2420te.
20131219_192402.jpg
20131219_194224.jpg
I havent wanted to do a multi monitor setup because of the bezels so let me know how the debezeling thing goes that sounds very interesting. I love some asus monitors just gave my boys my last 24" for they're ps3. never have tried many acer monitors but i have friends that love them. Im finally going to have enough free time to start assembling the alienware this week so man am i excited!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
man everybody talks about the bezels. the idea behind surround and eyefinity is for the experience. you cant keep track of all that area unless your camping a flag or something. but for the experience you get with race games fps games any game really is just by far the shiz. you really never notice the bezels until your not moving and looking around.

Oh hell yeah man it was fun. It makes for a great experience. But I play more fps titles than racing so having no bezels is beneficial. Especially if you can still have an eyefinity-like resolution and field of view.

Now I'll suggest something to make you wonder...what would three of these be like in Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround...imagine.

Those look awesome and the price isnt bad. I might look into getting a second ben q and try the surround out. after the newness wears of this one lol. I play alot of fps games so sitting isnt really an issue. This monitor is 3d ready thought about getting the nvidia kit but it seems kinda gimicky you know. I dont want to throw down $160 for something i might use a couple of times lol. the dark glasses seem kinda impractical for everyday use! I love how there are so many options out these days wish i had the cash to try them all lol!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
Oh hell yeah man it was fun. It makes for a great experience. But I play more fps titles than racing so having no bezels is beneficial. Especially if you can still have an eyefinity-like resolution and field of view.

Now I'll suggest something to make you wonder...what would three of these be like in Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround...imagine.
dude i have already thought asbout that. but thats over 7k in res. is there even a gpu that push's that high. im assuming yea since you can run 5 screens. but i dont know how many gpus it takes to push that ither

Those look awesome and the price isnt bad. I might look into getting a second ben q and try the surround out. after the newness wears of this one lol. I play alot of fps games so sitting isnt really an issue. This monitor is 3d ready thought about getting the nvidia kit but it seems kinda gimicky you know. I dont want to throw down $160 for something i might use a couple of times lol. the dark glasses seem kinda impractical for everyday use! I love how there are so many options out these days wish i had the cash to try them all lol!

i wouldnt try it with just 2 the center is where the bezels would be in your line of site man. i would find some one that has the surround setup and try theres out before just running duels. duels will turn you away from surround/eyefinity

20131228_012307.jpg20131228_012347.jpg
starting to come back together. im loving the flat Black!!

dude i have already thought asbout that. but thats over 7k in res. is there even a gpu that push's that high. im assuming yea since you can run 5 screens. but i dont know how many gpus it takes to push that ither

i wouldnt try it with just 2 the center is where the bezels would be in your line of site man. i would find some one that has the surround setup and try theres out before just running duels. duels will turn you away from surround/eyefinity
That makes alot of sense. I will definatley find someone running three with a good video card and give it a fair try!