PSU Problem (I think) - Help!

marty2272

Hi All

New to the forums and unfortunately it's to ask for help with an apparent issue with my PSU for the X51 system.

Everything was fine yesterday and system powered down (fully, no standby) with no issues, today the system refused to power on. I checked the power brick and no green light was showing, immediately thought the kettle jack had disconnected, but it hadn't. Next thought was the plug, but it was plugged in and the socket was working for other gear. Then I disconnected everything, plugged the PSu in without it connected to the X51 system and a steady green light appeared, great, it was working again. But when I connect to the X51 the green light immediately disappears with no response from the power on button. Unplug the PSU from the system and the green light stays off, but when I unplug from the mains and plug in again (without it connected to the X51) a steady green light appears.

Is the PSU (external power brick) broken? Or could there be an issue with the system itself?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

mf9

When the power brick cuts out, usually because too much power draw is being asked of it, you do have to turn it off at the wall to reset it. What set-up are you running, namely graphics card and PSU?

marty2272

Thanks for the reply. My setup is bespoke X51 I7 3.9ghz, with an nvidia 1.5gb GTX 660. I've not made any modifications to the system since my initial purchase 15 months ago.

The power brick cuts out without even turning the system on, it happens immediately after connecting to the system, without even having the opportunity to turn it on. A steady green light appears on the brick if it isn't connected to the system, but goes off when connected to the system, and stays off when removed, only coming back on when re-connected to the plug and not connected to the system. This is odd as everything was fine 36 hours ago.

A replacement PSU would set me back approx £60 ($95) which isn't the end of the world, but I don't want to purchase one if it turns out the brick itself is fine and the system is at fault.

mf9

Difficult, I guess I would first trying removing the graphics card first and try starting up the system using the internal GPU. Failing that and I assume it's out of warranty, you don't have too many options except to replace the PSU and pray it's not a fault with the motherboard!