Purchased an ALienware Aurora ALX, worried about cooling!

Tadhg21

Hey guys, i just bought an alienware pc today and was kinda worried that I couldnt change the cooling options of the Rig.

I have two 680's SLI within and im afriad its gonna overheat while playing BF3.

Do ye guys have any experience with this?

Heres the Spec:

CHASSIS COLOUR Alienware Aurora ALX Matte Black 875W Chassis

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor (4 Core, 10MB Cache 3.60GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEM English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

GRAPHICS CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GTX 680 SLI™

MEMORY 16384MB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel

HARD DRIVE 256GB 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Blu-Ray ROM Drive

SOUND CARD Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter - EUR

MEDIA READER Alienware 19-in-1 Media card reader

SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection

SERVICES AND SUPPORT 1 year Next Business Day hardware Support included with your PC

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase. There are aftermarket cooling solutions for those gfx cards. I'd wait to see your temps before I'd spend the $$$ though. Let us know when it arrives, maybe upload some pics to the gallery. :)

Jenova

Welcome, sounds like a beastly setup. I'd do what he said and just wait and see how it does. They perform surprisingly well.

Tadhg21

HEh yeah, its costing an arm and a leg! :D

The only thing im disappointed about is there is no option to impove the cooling within it. Hopefully it will be oke.

Maelstrom

Well, they would make sure the cooling is at least adequate since it is a gaming computer. If you have temp problems later on you can always upgrade the cooling.

yikes81

Welcome. Awesome setup. I am sure that it will be ok. Otherwise Dell would be having returns left right and centre.

Tadhg21

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Yeah i'm probably just being paranoid heh

AeonSoul

From first hand experience coming from my laptop, AW cooling system is top notch, and I guess it's even better in desktops, so do as Tommy said and wait and see. If you think your temps are too high you can always throw in a couple of fans in there or switch to a water cooled system.

And obviously, welcome :D

yikes81

oh the wait. its the worst part. i think the best part is when you get the box in your hands. not the opening or playing. but all that frustration and anticipation finally culminates into extreme joy and pleasure in holding the actual box once handed over from the courier.

oh the wait. its the worst part. i think the best part is when you get the box in your hands. not the opening or playing. but all that frustration and anticipation finally culminates into extreme joy and pleasure in holding the actual box once handed over from the courier.
word :)

MattyB

Staff member
Completely agree. I was checking my delivery status about 10 times a day, waiting for it to change.

Is it worth getting an Alienware desktop? I have been thinking about getting a desktop but wouldn't it be heaps cheaper to build one? I would love an ALX chassis though. That would be the only reason I could see. That and the fact that I have never built a PC so I would have no idea what I was doing.

AeonSoul

Completely agree. I was checking my delivery status about 10 times a day, waiting for it to change.

Is it worth getting an Alienware desktop? I have been thinking about getting a desktop but wouldn't it be heaps cheaper to build one? I would love an ALX chassis though. That would be the only reason I could see. That and the fact that I have never built a PC so I would have no idea what I was doing.
I have a funny story about my delivery, but I don't want to go through that once again (cause it's also long to write and I'm a lazy bum) since I might have an heart attack if I think about it.

Beside that, yes bulding the desktop on your own might be cheaper, but if you never done that before and you're a screw up like me you'll probably just end up losing some money :p I've changed some parts myself in the desktop, but never went as far as touching the CPU and all of that delicate stuff. Not to talk about the cables, althrough I suppose motherboards instructions are pretty much detailed about it.

MattyB

Staff member
I have a funny story about my delivery, but I don't want to go through that once again (cause it's also long to write and I'm a lazy bum) since I might have an heart attack if I think about it.

Beside that, yes bulding the desktop on your own might be cheaper, but if you never done that before and you're a screw up like me you'll probably just end up losing some money :p I've changed some parts myself in the desktop, but never went as far as touching the CPU and all of that delicate stuff. Not to talk about the cables, althrough I suppose motherboards instructions are pretty much detailed about it.
I am definitely a screw up. I think I know more than I do. I do know that I would have serious trouble with all the cabling. That was one of my biggest worries. I think the ALX is the way to go for me. I would love to give it a go though. There are lots of people who are smarter than me on here who could help me through building one.

holeyguy66

me and dieselss ran another f/c in the drive bays. check them out in the aurora adventures section. this was to force air in between the cards to help cool them better. if you havent noticed the cards are way close together. feel free to ask away for help on that subject. im now running eyefinity so i need to get my fancy fan controller out for a less sexy looking one for more power per channel. reason being i have a fan that im gonna sit directly in front of my cards that push's 174 cfm. she needs more power captain

KoldFeit

That Sir, is awesome. Congrats! I think that between the server grade 92mm PCIe fan and the ALX Dynamic venting capability you are going to be alright. Just like @AeonSoul said AW does a pretty nice job at cooling that rig. I would monitor the temps with RealTemp and then make an informed decision to add another fan, although extra cooling never hurts, other than the pocket. Good luck to you.