Pushing the boundaries... to a GTX980Ti

king2penn

Jul 12, 2015
Hey all - nice to be here with all other fellow X51 owners in this forum. So I've been reading up alot on upgrading all the various parts of my X51 - and ive decided to focus on 3 - the graphics card, RAM & the additional storage (in the form of an SSD)

For the graphics card I made a mistake on my first modification - purchasing an ASUS GTX970 4GB Turbo DDR5 that will not fit in the X51 no matter how much I tried. I subsequently sold it away and got the Palit GTX970 (reference). Installed it (my fan was alr cut off but was not necessary for Palit anyway) and it now runs beautifully.

However, my hands got itchy again recently and I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX980 or GTX980Ti. For the GTX980 it will be a straightforward swap & fit (as recapped my other members here on the forum) with its slightly higher power draw. Have also narrowed it down to a Palit GTX980 reference which will fit.

However, the GTX980Ti will provide a much more noticeable boost to performance. I have also found one which will fit - either the Palit reference GTX980Ti or the Asus GTX980Ti-6GD5. However, the graphics card power of both (around 250W) worries me greatly. Is there anyway to get a turnkey solution to upgrade my PSU to maybe around 500-600W? I am also worried that such a high power supply might damage other components in my X51 (as I read somewhere that it might not be supported in this build)

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Steven

Edit: I am currently using the standard 330W PSU

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Hey all - nice to be here with all other fellow X51 owners in this forum. So I've been reading up alot on upgrading all the various parts of my X51 - and ive decided to focus on 3 - the graphics card, RAM & the additional storage (in the form of an SSD)

For the graphics card I made a mistake on my first modification - purchasing an ASUS GTX970 4GB Turbo DDR5 that will not fit in the X51 no matter how much I tried. I subsequently sold it away and got the Palit GTX970 (reference). Installed it (my fan was alr cut off but was not necessary for Palit anyway) and it now runs beautifully.

However, my hands got itchy again recently and I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX980 or GTX980Ti. For the GTX980 it will be a straightforward swap & fit (as recapped my other members here on the forum) with its slightly higher power draw. Have also narrowed it down to a Palit GTX980 reference which will fit.

However, the GTX980Ti will provide a much more noticeable boost to performance. I have also found one which will fit - either the Palit reference GTX980Ti or the Asus GTX980Ti-6GD5. However, the graphics card power of both (around 250W) worries me greatly. Is there anyway to get a turnkey solution to upgrade my PSU to maybe around 500-600W? I am also worried that such a high power supply might damage other components in my X51 (as I read somewhere that it might not be supported in this build)

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Steven

Edit: I am currently using the standard 330W PSU

I doubt you'd have any issues with the R2 330watt power board/power brick, as I had that setup and ran an overclocked R9 290 in it for 6 months, benchmarking and gaming on the high end with not even one BSOD. The R9 290 is rated at a 275 watt TDP, and still I could overclock it no problem. As for the heat, if you were to replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD, the card would have a lot more room for flow, but I still decided to modify my PCIe bracket to allow lower pressure, higher flowing exhaust from the r9 290.

king2penn

Jul 12, 2015
I doubt you'd have any issues with the R2 330watt power board/power brick, as I had that setup and ran an overclocked R9 290 in it for 6 months, benchmarking and gaming on the high end with not even one BSOD. The R9 290 is rated at a 275 watt TDP, and still I could overclock it no problem. As for the heat, if you were to replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD, the card would have a lot more room for flow, but I still decided to modify my PCIe bracket to allow lower pressure, higher flowing exhaust from the r9 290.

thanks for your reply! sounds promising that the 330w PSU will be able to take it. I will be getting the GTX980Ti in Aug/Sep and will update this thread once I get it installed & running (if it works) =)

Good luck trying this.... was thinking about the 980 ti also, but I was also worried about the 250 watt TDP. So I had my heart set on the 980 since the prices came down a little. If you can get this to work I will seriously consider getting the 980 ti instead of the 980. I was reading comments on youtube recently, and saw guy who recently put in a Titan X in the X51 r2 and works perfectly for him. It also has the same TDP as the 980 ti. This could give you hope!

venticore

May 9, 2015
hmm I was thinking about the same upgrade here I was planning on 960gb ssd + GTX 980 ti and and the 2 tb HDD + BD-rom out.
I think i will wait till seen someone do it however i'v seen some i7 8 cores with gtx 980 ti and other shit loads of stuffs and peak around 360w from the wall for the entire system , lets hope that this one will work it will be awesome cause the GTX 980 ti was peaking around 240w on stress test and hover between 185 - 220 while gaming if you count your cpu @ 85w + ssd and other fans around 20-25w then it might work but wont risk it and buy a 650$ card that not going to work, just if i was living in the US i would take the risk cause you can buy it and return it if it didnt work.

king2penn

Jul 12, 2015
is there any liks for the vid of the guy who upgraded to titan x ?

Here you go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcD5UjBZ-o

apparantely his stopped working after awhile (according to comments). But then one guy in the 2nd comment said his was working and he was running the 330w PSU

Not sure what the guy in the vid was running for his PSU (EDIT: HE WASNT RUNNING A 330W) (or his motherboard more importatly); didnt bother watching through the whole thing

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
fan and msi.jpg That dude has two PSU's , one 330 factory and the second one powering ONLY the GPU. It will work but not worth the messy look !
As for the heat, this is the best solution so far, 6 hours on Borderlands The Pre Sequel @ 1620P and havent seen anythin higher than 72 degrees

venticore

May 9, 2015
Well we are talking about a guy who commented on that video, they are both rated @ 250w tdp but the gtx 980 ti won't reach that while gaming maxing @ 220w playing @ 4k resolution , also a system with 6 core i7 and loaded with multiple fans ,coolers, drives ,etc , draw max of 350w during furmark test.