test

putting in aftermarket motherboard area 51r2

Dave5

So I bought my area 51r2 with 2 gtx 980s. I purchased a third 980 but come to realize for some reason I cant do tri sli. The 3rd gpu is recognized and have it running as a dedicated phys x card. I am running a 4k monitor so I wanted to up the frame rates. I know if I put in an aftermarket motherboard I will have to purchase a windows 8 license key. What my question is though can I still install and use the alienware programs such as fx and so forth? How are those programs tied into the pc? To be more clear what would prevent anyone from using those programs in a pc made by hp or a home built pc? I do not want to lose the lighting effect nor the oc utility and the other utilities it comes with. I don't want to waste a 980 as a deciated phys x card. I want to use it as a 3 way sli setup. I already upgraded to a thermaltake 1200 watt power supply. I also bought an internal blu ray drive on ebay. By the way it works great. I think its uj167. Something like that. I need some help in regards to this. Thank you all.

Dave5

So I just went to alienware website and configured a system with triple sli and it says the i7 5820 k is in compatible. Now my question is if I swap in 5930k instead of swapping out the motherboard would that enable tri sli? I am guessing/hoping dell uses the same motherboard for their alienware are 51r2