test

[Q] Fan speed control

vipasoft

Can anyone help.

I have an issue, only small and more annoying than anything.

I have a constant whine up/down noise coming from my X51 R2. I finally narrowed it down to one of the 3 main fans in the system, namely FAN 1, (which I believe is the Front Fan.

When I run 'Open Hardware Monitor' it shows Fan #1 speeding up and slowing down, (between 795 RPM and 971 RPM).

I've ran Speedfan, (latest beta version 4.51 as latest full version 4.50 BSOD my computer). If I turn FAN #1 from SPEED to MANUAL, it stops oscillating between two different speeds and the whine disappears.

What I would like help with is how to change the settings, (using any program), that stops the fast/slow change in the fan. I really don't know too much about SpeedFan to trust myself not to change something and potentially cause damage, so any expert help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Vince

I see You

Can anyone help.

I have an issue, only small and more annoying than anything.

I have a constant whine up/down noise coming from my X51 R2. I finally narrowed it down to one of the 3 main fans in the system, namely FAN 1, (which I believe is the Front Fan.

When I run 'Open Hardware Monitor' it shows Fan #1 speeding up and slowing down, (between 795 RPM and 971 RPM).

I've ran Speedfan, (latest beta version 4.51 as latest full version 4.50 BSOD my computer). If I turn FAN #1 from SPEED to MANUAL, it stops oscillating between two different speeds and the whine disappears.

What I would like help with is how to change the settings, (using any program), that stops the fast/slow change in the fan. I really don't know too much about SpeedFan to trust myself not to change something and potentially cause damage, so any expert help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Vince

It does that because the machine is getting hot thats why it speeds up, if you ask me as a former owner of a R1 they get way to hot and ultimately it kills them in the end.

vipasoft

Actually, when I'm playing a game and the GFX and processor gets hot, then FAN #1 become more consistent in its spin speeds.

It changes speeds constantly even though my Processor is only at 42* and my GPU, (GTX 660), is only at 40*. The game that taxis my system the most is Bioshock Infinite and it reaches 78/79*, which is still a long way under 97*. I am running a 21:9 monitor, so that adds extra stress to the GPU.

But anyway, it's more annoying when my system is relatively idle and I can hear the fan speed up/down, (not too loud, but I know it's doing it).

vipasoft

How vital is the front fan anyway. I've read that quite a few people are removing it because of fitting a larger GFX card. Would it not cause more heat build up, or is it really not needed.