Question about new X51 R2 I just ordered

acarlton

I just ordered my new x51 R2 30 minutes ago. I picked the i3-4130 because I plan on upgrading to an i5 later when my pell grant money comes in next semester. I just went through the invoice and noticed that I'm getting stuck with the 180W power supply. Will I be able to run a GTX 650 Ti Boost off of that power supply? The expected delivery date is December 30th, so if I need to I can order a new power supply from amazon.

STDVirus

Yes you shouldn't have any problem. I had the GTX 645 in mine with the i3-3220 and the power draw from your setup will only be 3-4watts more then mine was. You can get the 330w PSU for pretty cheap off ebay or amazon it plugs right in and works nothing else is required, that's what i did.

You must not of bought from Dell/Alienware i take it since they did away with the 180w PSU because it kinda sucks lol, 240w is standard now. I would recommend upgrading your PSU to 330w as soon as your able, it's more then enough power to run all that you will want im most cases.

acarlton

Actually I ordered it from dell last night. I could have gotten a bigger power supply if I ordered the i5, but I decided against it. I was able to take advantage of my companies employee discount and was able to get my new x51 for $630.74. I'm pretty stoked about it and can't wait for it to come in. I was looking at the x51 at Bestbuy, but their salesman wouldn't leave me alone long enough to inspect it and try it out. I have a gaems g155 sitting unused right now. The x51 fits perfectly inside as long as I remove the foam padding. I'm looking forward to some mobile gaming when I travel, so this was a no brainer.

STDVirus

Good deal yeah i was able to pick mine up from a guy only a month old for $475 so i jumped on it lol. Yeah that 650 Ti Boost is a great card you'll prob be happy with that for a while. I didn't even know they still offered that at 180w. If you want to go past the 650 you'll need a bigger PSU though but like i said my buddie has the 650 Ti Boost and its great, pretty close to the 660.

Ronsan

I recently ordered 2 of the X51's and I got the same deal with the 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz) & Power Supply : Alienware 180W AC Adapter. I don't understand why you say they got rid of the 180W psu. Link please!

Got the 1st one in today!

EDIT: Didn't mean to derail your thread bro, CG on your purchase!

STDVirus

I recently ordered 2 of the X51's and I got the same deal with the 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz) & Power Supply : Alienware 180W AC Adapter. I don't understand why you say they got rid of the 180W psu. Link please!

Got the 1st one in today!

EDIT: Didn't mean to derail your thread bro, CG on your purchase!

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx

If you look here the lowest model for $699 has a 240w standard that's why i was thinking they didn't offer the 180w. But if you guys are able to order it then i was wrong, no biggy.

acarlton

Ronsan its all good man. I was trying to figure out why we were getting the 180w power supplies instead of the 240W, like STDVirus said the 240W is standard. I don't know. All I know is when the X51 arrives I'm going to remove the 6GB of Ram and install 8GB of G.Skill Ram. I'm looking at different graphics cards and I'm trying to decide if the PNY reference GTX 760 card would work using the 330W power supply. Are reference cards with the blower type fans the way to go? I know the custom coolers will just throw back into the case, but I never had a reference card before so I don't know if the heat would exhausted out the back of the card.

I don't even have the system and I'm already upgrading the components. Thanks for the CG.

STDVirus

Yeah you want a ref. card, there the ones with the blowers out the back. And yeah the gtx 760 would be a good match with a 330w PSU. I'm just bought a GTX 680 SC for mine with the 330w PSU. I have a i3 right now so there will be a bottleneck but with my next check i'm going to get a i7 3770T, its a ultra low watt cpu with a good amount of power, only 45w vs. the regular i7 3770 that's 77w. This will give me a little more of a buffer, with room to play. But if you have the 330w PSU the 760 will work just fine.

Ronsan

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx

If you look here the lowest model for $699 has a 240w standard that's why i was thinking they didn't offer the 180w. But if you guys are able to order it then i was wrong, no biggy.

Okay try this like I just did and figure it out. Follow the link you gave and if you scroll down you'll see that your statement is true, then go ahead and select customize or just order one. Follow through all the steps until you get to the end, then review your order, scroll down to the bottom and it says Alienware 180W power supply.

I tried this several times and there is no option for power supply so I don't know how it gets changed. Got me!

STDVirus

Yeah i see. This seems like false advertising to me lol. The 180w is barley enough to power the stocks specs i mean on mine i have a i3-3220 cpu 55w TDP and a GTX 645 130w TDP thats 185w by its self lol. So i went on Amazon and bought a 330w PSU for around $78 shipped and then bought a EVGA GTX 680 SC for $270 shipped ;) the vCard should be here tomorrow. I'm pumped!

Ronsan

Okay so I called Dell today and apparently it's a typo that hasn't been updated yet, they assured me that they do not sell the system with 180W psu anymore.

STDVirus

that's good news the 180w is garbage IMO there's no room for upgrades i think that's why it comes with the 240w standard now.