test

Question about video card upgrade options

osikes

Howdy

I've recently become an owner of my first alienware desktop. My question pertains to adding an additional video card. Currently I'm running a GTX 690 (and omg it is amazing). I noticed that alienware doesn't have an option for x2 690s in SLI. Is that because stock power supply isn't enough, not enough physical room in case, or just too expensive? I'd like to go to 2 of them if possible.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MattyB

Welcome to the AW family!

Dell doesn't have the option probably because it is really not needed. I don't think you will see any real gains from having a second 690. You will really only see a difference when benchmarking. From what I have read, one single 690 uses up to 300 watts so you should be fine with the stock PSU.

If you have the cash, then by all means go for it but you are much better off spending the money on an SSD if you don't have one yet and using the rest on something else you want.

EDIT: Some games actually perform worse when you go SLI.

yikes81

Yeh I find crossfire/SLI a gimmick. One of the new cards on the market is more than enough. And down the track if you wanted to add a second card into SLI, you may be better off just upgrading the old card to the latest one.

Also you will have less hardware in the machine, making for better airflow.

I thought about doing the same thing...
But will probably upgrade to the next dual card in the 700 series!