test

Question to the owners.

Dingleman

So there are some pretty interesting Dell Outlet deals going on and I came across the following X51 build. Considering I have wanted one for a little while it is very difficult to resist. Was hoping for some feedback from the owners as far as their thoughts on the pricing and specs.

-Dell Outlet Alienware X51 Desktop Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
-1TB, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
-Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
-Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz 8MB cache,with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
-8 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
-330W A/C Adapter
-1 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555

After shipping+taxes this would land at $668.56. Worth it?

nando2323

I got mine for a bit less then that it only had 6gb of ram and 220w PSU no Bluray. I paid $560 before shipping and tax I think. So the better PSU, Bluray and 2GB more ram worth $100 essentially? I would say sure only for the Bluray and PSU, ram is so cheap no its negligible. I eventually ended up at $1000 almost by buying a PSU from ebay for $50, 256GB SSD for $160 and GTX660TI+ SC for $300.

Dingleman

Ended up shelling an extra $70 to have the i7-3700, 1600MHz, and the GTX 660. So $740...

Scottao

I pulled mine on the outlet deal that you had to do a chat or phone call to get the 30% off. I got the i7-3770, 8 gigs, and the gtx660 for $575 including tax. I think they must have been offering the sales people some kind of funky commission schedule though, because the people on the SlickDeals board were all over the place with pricing. People were getting $200+ differences for exact spec'd systems.

Anyway, I put a 256gig ssd in mine and did a fresh instal (mine came with Win8 - blech) and it runs like an absolute champ. You should be very happy with it!

Dingleman

I pulled mine on the outlet deal that you had to do a chat or phone call to get the 30% off. I got the i7-3770, 8 gigs, and the gtx660 for $575 including tax. I think they must have been offering the sales people some kind of funky commission schedule though, because the people on the SlickDeals board were all over the place with pricing. People were getting $200+ differences for exact spec'd systems.

Anyway, I put a 256gig ssd in mine and did a fresh instal (mine came with Win8 - blech) and it runs like an absolute champ. You should be very happy with it!

Wow that's just insane! I tried sweet talking the sales guy but got pooped on. Tried both chat and phone :(.

Scottao

Not sure if your order can be cancelled (when you call to cancel, they'll frequently knock $30-$75 off if you keep the order), but they just released a batch of 30% off codes for Alienware desktop and laptop machines in the outlet (code is WW9TKQ?335GM17 ). That being offered, I didn't even bother to check stock to see if there's anything left worth a damn (they've been clearancing out stuff for a few weeks now, so it's probably all pretty picked over).

Dingleman

Not sure if your order can be cancelled (when you call to cancel, they'll frequently knock $30-$75 off if you keep the order), but they just released a batch of 30% off codes for Alienware desktop and laptop machines in the outlet (code is WW9TKQ?335GM17 ). That being offered, I didn't even bother to check stock to see if there's anything left worth a damn (they've been clearancing out stuff for a few weeks now, so it's probably all pretty picked over).

Damn Dell and their coupons. I didn't want to cancel my order as I saw no other units like it currently available. Called their customer care line and had one of the rudest outsourced lady I have had the pleasure speaking with. She basically told me its a big shame and there is nothing she can do about it. When I said this is the 3rd Dell I purchased year to date and if Dell is going to fight me over 5% I will happily ensure to take my business elsewhere she had a minor change of heart. After verifying my past purchases (apparently I am a liar) she went ahead and refunded me the extra 5%.... In any case, thanks for the heads up!!

Last edited:

Scottao

That's really a shame they made you jump through hoops over all that. But, at least in the end you got the 5% off - even if it likely cost them your repeat business. I'll never understand why they have to get mouthy instead of just putting you through to a supervisor. I'm glad I could help though!

GoHack

When dealing w/Dell, try going through their business (Work) branch. The people there are Americans, at least from my experience, so you can understand them, and are very polite and professional, and know the hardware. That's where I bought my X51 from.

The people you deal with, w/the Home computers branch, tend to be from India or South America, speak horrible English, and are totally ignorant when it comes to the hardware, or sales, and put you on hold, for you to speak w/someone the next level up, if you have any questions not on their Clue Cards. In the past, I've spent as much as 2+ hours dealing w/these people. Never again, when it comes to the Home computers branch.