R.I.P. M11x

RoBi1475

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/dell_planning_pull_plug_alienware_m11x_laptop

Dell's Alienware M11x proved it's possible to play real games on a little laptop, a concept that flies over the head of every Atom-based netbook in existence. We were so impressed with the pint-sized system's gaming prowess that we awarded it a 9/10 verdict when we reviewed the system, but that was nearly two years ago and unfortunately for fans of the M11x, Dell reportedly isn't planning to refresh it's 11-inch gamer.

That's the news The Verge heard straight from the horse's mouth (Dell), anyway. That's a shame because the M11x was truly something special and we'd love to see it upgraded with an Ivy Bridge foundation and perhaps a mobile Kepler infusion. Ultrabooks, portable as they are, can't offer the same gaming performance that a system like the M11x can.

So that's the bad news. The good news is that Dell is overhauling the M14X, M17x, and M18x for 2012, according to The Verge. All three models are being upgraded with an mSATA slot, Bluetooth 4.0, a dedicated onboard Creative Sound Blaster chip, and THX TruStudio software.

Dell's also upping the gaming ante with new GeForce 600 series and Radeon HD 7000 series discrete GPUs, and if you opt for the 18.4-inch M18x model, you can optionally configure it with two GeForce GTX 675M GPUs in SLI or two Radeon HD 7979M GPUs in CrossFire.

It is a shame really. :(

Maelstrom

I don't really understand why they did this. The M11x was a really popular laptop.

MattyB

Staff member
Maybe it was too popular?? Dell may have thought that it took sales away from the more expensive models. Why sell a $1000 machine when people will pay $1200 if you dont give them an option? Conspiracy.........???

sway

I love mine a lot, before that I had an xps 13. Maybe they'll get negative feedback so much that they'll retract their statement and keep making it.

Maelstrom

I don't know; if people wanted the larger computers then that's what they would buy. I think that people bought the M11x because they wanted a small computer and that was the best on out there.

MattyB

Staff member
They definitely would but now they don't even get the option so now they automatically have to upgrade to the 14x. (Thats only if they really must have an Alienware which any normal person would). I would hope thats not why they made the decision to dump it though. You never know, they may just be doing something extra special to it and will re-release it later this year. In that case I would have to sell the one I have just ordered and get a new one!

Commy1

I don't think I could ever game on an 11" screen. My roommate has a 13" and I don't understand how she can do it. 14" is a perfect size in my opinion. And if I really really needed a bigger screen, the m14x has enough punch in it to handle 3 peripheral displays on it's own.

ThatOldGuy

I wouldn't count out the possibility of Dell making a small Alienware. Their sales were excellent on that machine. I think they will make a new model in the 12" form eventually so they can get a better screen into it which is thier number 1 request for the m11x's. The timing to phase out the M11x is perfect for them at the moment though, as they are heavily trying to market thier "ultrabook" (xps 13) in conjunction with intel. In fact I would not be surprized if they suspended m11x production to make a better deal with intel for 2012-2013 notebook year. Intel is trying to get a leg up on the tegra chip and the other ultra mobile chip cometition and are spending a fortune doing so.

Maelstrom

I wouldn't mind a better screen for the future M11x but I think that going with a 900p screen would be too much. It gets to a point where more pixels is not good.

BlackJair

It's a shame, i never liked 11" laptops but many friends of mine love that model, then the M11x R3 will be the better 11" laptop for a few years now.

yikes81

I agree with ThatOldGuy. I think there is a marketing plan in there somewhere. Possibly to re-align focus on another machine for the time being, and then possibly release a totally new machine that will fill in that market. Maybe instead of trying to refresh that model, they will build a new one from the ground up.

MattyB

Staff member
I love mine to bits. Its playing Skyrim beautifully. Also, I have been skyping with my M17x over the past few months using a USB internet dongle and it has been having major trouble with the video. Tried it on the M11x and it worked flawlessly. Perfect picture and no delays. Not sure what thats all about but I love it.

It sold decent enough from what I saw
It was a nice small rig for more than casual ppl, well they are focusing more hardcore now