R12 - Please help!

Gamertag87

Hey, I'm not computer savvy, so bear with.

I have had an R3 forever, and I only play World of Warcraft so its been okay. Its been breaking recently such as the USB ports stopped and other stuff. So I figured Id replace it, I want to try out New World anyway so ill need something better. I bought an R12 - RTX 3090, i9-11900KF, 64gb ram.

All I did was play classic Warcraft, which I think could run on a toaster. Its on the floor next to me and it sounds like its going to take off and I think the heat its sending off could warm a small community. My last computer was crap but it could run wow with no noise or heat that I noticed. Now I know the new R12 is gonna give off more because its better but I thought that it would only get hot and noisy if the GFX was put up against a good GFX intensive game. I thought playing classic wow would be like, easy, idle like.

I saw some people have replaced fans which I could try to do, but the corsair fans are quieter because they are slower right? So it'll just get warmer wont it? And not being great with this sort of thing, I'm worried I'll void my warranty.

Sorry if this comes across as really ignorant.

Anyone able to tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Reg72

Hey Buddy
Okay few basic first.
Is the Machine a liquid cooled cpu model?

I have a R9 and R11 and her are my solutions.
When my R9 was air cooled I replaced both the 2 stock fans.
Corsair ML 120 pro non LED for the top fan ( no other fans will pass the post bios test)
Corsair ML 120 non pro on the intake at the bottom front position.
This did lower the noise.
But the CPU cooler is still very noticeable.

My next change was to add a Corsair H60 AIO cooler.
I used a noctua Y splitter to allow 2 fans to be used on the radiator.
The 4 pin side of the splitter to the ML Pro fan.
And the 3 pin leg to the fan that came with the AIO.
The AIO connects to a sata for power and the Small 3 pin connector goes on the Pump header on the top of the motherboard.

Sound wise it was a huge change.
I set the fans on a smooth curve.
CPU cooler ( it does not change to pump in the wording) Set at 85% constant.
Top fan I have from 10% raising to 80% because the Corsair fans are not 3000 rpm like the the stock units.
The Front fans set exactly the same.

Its night and day difference.
And Yeah I know your thinking WTF.
I feel your annoyance as I have been in your shoes looking at the shinny new machine that sounds like a leaf blower.

Gamertag87

Hey man, thanks for replying.

Its liquid cooled. If I got those 2 fans and replaced the top fan and intake, wouldn't the computer heat up too much? Because the dell fans move much faster don't they?

Also, can I just buy the corsair ml120 pro for both the bottom and the top or must the bottom be non pro?

Last edited:

Reg72

Ah Cool pun intended.
The stock fans are not very effective.
After market Static pressure fans are better for getting air thru a radiator.
If it was me ( you make your own mind up on it)

I would use a Corsair ML120 Pro non Led on the lower side of the radiator.
Connected to a Noctua 2 way splitter. ( on the 4 pin Leg)
For above the radiator use fans that are SP or static pressure designated.
Noctua Corsair Thermal take etc etc
As the Corsair pro will be on the 4 pin leg you will not get the pre bios error.

I have tried the Thermaltake tough fan 12's in my machine and they are super quiet.
They came in a pack of four.
I had 1 on the radiator in pull configuration to help the corsair bellow clear the hot air.
Hdd caddy was removed to allow a fan to be placed in a upper intake position.
And the normal intake was also changed.
Essentially giving me 2 intakes and 2 exhausts.
Of course good quality Thermal past must me used as the stock stuff is a bit hit or miss.
Awcc works on percentages.
So you need to set up your fan curve to suit the rpm of the new fans.
For instance the stock are 3000rpm ( 100%) but a corsair is 2000rpm ( 60% ) so set the fan curve to max out at 60%.
Easy to work out by just using the off set function to 100% and see what the fans max out at in AWCC percentage.

How are your Temps while gaming?
AWCC is set to be super aggressive and with the stock fans being noisy its a total nigh mare.

Reg72

Hey man, thanks for replying.

Its liquid cooled. If I got those 2 fans and replaced the top fan and intake, wouldn't the computer heat up too much? Because the dell fans move much faster don't they?

Also, can I just buy the corsair ml120 pro for both the bottom and the top or must the bottom be non pro?
Hi just to add to your cooling drama.
The image attached is of my final solution to CPU temperature.
I still have 2 intakes as talked about in the previous reply's.
But I have taken drastic action on the AIO radiator side of things.
To Install the unit I had to fully strip the system to be sure I did not get metal dust and debris in to anything.
I used a dremel to scalp the metal case and to hone out the upper plastic parts.
This allowed me to have a 240mm AIO with twin 120mm fans pushing up and out of the system.
Its really drastic.
Temperature wise it took my R9 from 80c to 50C playing the same games and using the same programs.
As I said it drastic and not for the those worried about consequences.
Picture is of a dry fit. I ended up widening my case cut and making some small bracketsAlien 240mm.jpgalien 240 side.jpgalien vents.jpg to allow the radiator to sit lower.
This allowed me to put the plastic top cover back on.
Added some small exhaust holes of course.
It looks stock unless you know what your looking at.

Gamertag87

If I tried to do all that, I'd have a heart attack haha. I'm going to replace the fans like you suggested though, just ordering them now.

This is what it looks like after playing classic warcraft for 10 mins

IMG_20210419_214632.jpg

Gamertag87

Oh, I turned the overclock off as I figured I don't need it to play this game and it's just adding heat right

Reg72

Good lord those are way to high.
I know some will say you can run them up to 85c before it will throttle the cores.
No wonder your machine sounds like its about to take off.

I hope I have given you some help.
Old gamers need to stick together
:)