R2 and SSD

Snoopception

Hey, 1st time posting here, 1st time really posting on any advise forum as i am usual rather confident with all things computers, but this time i have become completely stumped for 3 days. I have an old x51 r2, i5 3.2ghz, 12gb RAM, GTX 745. I recently decided to breath some new life into this rig as i enjoy doing some 3d rendering as a hobby and my ambitions are starting to out do the capability of this computer. RAM went fine, nothing wrong there, i have a gtx 970 ready to go when i have got the hdd sorted....

BUT THE HHD IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I ordered a 500gb SSD, more specifically a Crucial MX500 2.5, MDL: CT500MX500SSD1. With the hopes of just removing the old 3.5 HDD for this one. I cloned the HDD to the ssd, all partition correctly, no problems there. I remove the HDD, put my SSD in, start it up, i go to Bios, the SSD is registered in the SATA2 port, so my pc recognizes its there, but i am given no option to add it to the boot order. I have turned off secure boot, i have played with every setting and tried everything i can think of, cloned it and re cloned it, installed windows from scratch onto the SSD, and its still not found it in the boot menu. Legacy boot recognizes it, but then cant boot from it. It wont even boot as an external drive.

Please help me before i pull my hair out!

Last edited:

Snoopception

Bios version is AO12, Currently installed with windows 8.1 since it was the only disk i could find.

MattyB

It says the 1st boot is the hard disk so it should just use the SSD instead of the old HDD. What happens when you try to boot normally? I swapped the HDD out for an SSD in my R1 and I don't remember having any issues. I can take a look at what my BIOS says tonight after work.

Also, you should be able to still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 by using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, if you get it booting to Windows.

Snoopception

I just comes up saying no internal HDD found, ideally it should have BBS settings for the HDD right? if it recognized the SSD as something it could boot from shouldn't it be listed under "Windows Boot Manager" with BBS settings. I even tried changing the SATA port to 1 after a friend suggested it. I recon its something super simple im missing... im going to try another fresh install onto the SSD after removing all the partitions, it surely must be missing a file that tells the bios to recognize it.

Snoopception

So i actualy did a fresh install of windows 10 to the SSD by creating a boot usb from the Media creation tool you suggested.... and it worked, Thank you sooooo much. Honestly still cant understand why it wasnt registering a boot drive with 8.1 but whatever.