R4 GPU upgrade questions

Rapid_Sausage

So my 675m apparently just fried, third one that does that, and i am fed up with it, so i decided to either sell the R4 completely or get a different card, and in this case it's going to be an Nvidia one since i have the 120hz monitor version, so i decided to look into the 680m and 780m.

So the questions:
1- Do i need a different heatsink??
2- Do i need a different x-bracket (mxm)??
3- How does the performance of the 680m hold up today??
4- What sort of hardware and software differences will i need to adjust if i go with 780m??

Last edited:
either get the 780 or 880m they are very nice you would need the 3 pipe heatsink or it will run way too hot. also consider better thermal paste

Rapid_Sausage

either get the 780 or 880m they are very nice you would need the 3 pipe heatsink or it will run way too hot. also consider better thermal paste
i already have the 3 pipe heatsink, and i'll probably go for the 780m if i can get it, though i do not know the steps needed to make it work, as i have researched it will need a modified graphics driver, possibly even a modified Bios and VBios versions which i do not know how to make, and there was something also involved with sound.

Can you shed some light on this please?

i already have the 3 pipe heatsink, and i'll probably go for the 780m if i can get it, though i do not know the steps needed to make it work, as i have researched it will need a modified graphics driver, possibly even a modified Bios and VBios versions which i do not know how to make, and there was something also involved with sound.

Can you shed some light on this please?
You shouldnt need to modify anything if you order a dell geforce 780m it should plug straight into your laptop and you just install standard nvidia driver

Rapid_Sausage

Can anyone provide me with a picture of the location and dimensions where thermal pads are required on both these cards please?

Side question: Is Fujipoly extreme and Fujipoly/ModRight the same thing???, and is it electrically conductive?

vazo

Hi Guys !
Sorrry if my language ..........
I have a similar problem, my 675m is fried.I need a new card, but I don`t know which is the Best for me. I found lot of cards (680m-9XXm) but I need : without any problem (software/hardware)....
I don`t know: i need a new x-bracket (my one is MXM??) or new heatsink (100W)?
If is possible somebody can give me accurate details/guide/description etc?
Many thanks
vazo

Alienware M17xR4-2012 (U3E1), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7 3740QM @ 2.70GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm, 8.00GB Dual DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, BIOS A12, Intel HD Graphics 4000:oops:, 465GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA) 476GB M4-CT512M4SSD2 (SSD) 29GB SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA (SSD)