R4 O/C question

drmark

Hello all, Just got the R4 with the 3820 O/C to 4.1
I understand they only O/C one of the 4 processor cores. It should be here tomorrow, how do you enable the other 3 cores to 4.1?

MattyB

It depends on how open the BIOS is. As I swapped my Alienware mobo and 3820 out I can't remember what options were open in the BIOS. You need to be able to set all your multipliers to 41. I don't think you can with that one though unless you find an unlocked BIOS somewhere.

drmark

When you did the swap were you able to get the lights to work? My 4-year old X57 AW was a nightmare to keep the lights working.

MattyB

Yep got all the lights working fine. From what I can tell, the AlienFX is controlled by the smaller daughterboard. I do have a few minor problems with it though. If I don't change the lighting for a while, it won't change when I ask it to. It will wait till it reboots. It's a little hit and miss but it does change.

You can still set the multiplier with the original 07JNH0 motherboard - I am at 4.2 GHz at all 8 cores you can go higher but you will need to increase the voltage, something that I would advise against unless you have balls of steel!