test

R4 Rattle on start up

greeba

My Aurora Alienware desktop has, from new, had an annoying "rattle" from the cooling fins on the top of the ATX case

It ONLY happens for a few seconds when the pc is started the fins open and close and then the same when it is shut down.
Other than this it operates faultlessly

I have spoken to Dell and they say they are unaware of the problem
Weird !

holeyguy66

can you record this sound. if it does it with the vents opening and closing its prob not a rattle but more less a grinding of the gears in the vent system. also when you control the vents through command center does it do it.

Rob Wills

My Aurora Alienware desktop has, from new, had an annoying "rattle" from the cooling fins on the top of the ATX case

It ONLY happens for a few seconds when the pc is started the fins open and close and then the same when it is shut down.

Weird !

Hi Greeba, very odd response from Dell - and you've had this behaviour since the start? If it seems wrong to you, get back to Dell and ask them to explain what it is. If necessary, as holeyguy66 says, you can attach a small mp3 file of the sound to an email. I know they accept jpegs of broken screens, so why not? I have an R4, though not the ALX. It makes a 'whoosh' sound as it starts - but that's just ear candy...

greeba

Weird !

Here is a you tube video - mine is exactly the same but there is no explanation or cure mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnYLgfIfFg

greeba

No Dell did NOT get it fixed - Its out of warranty and I can't email them to find out anything
That's why I posted this in the first place and put up the you tube vid to hopefully get some feedback from other owners

holeyguy66

well the info in the youtube channel pretty much answered it for you. and you can always get ahold of alienware support even if its out of warrenty. you just have to call 800-alienware not the dell line even though they are the same company dell tech support dont know anything about alienwares and vise versa for alienware tech support. dont ever say cant because if its that bad you can and will. i waitied on the phone for an hour just to complain about my lights