test

RAM Problem?!

FrunkLaJe

I have this problem where when I put all of my Ram sticks into the computer(all work fine) the computer will start then just shut down suddenly. If I take out any one of the ram sticks and replace it with the slower, smaller stock one the computer starts with no problems and recognizes all the Ram. I would like to fill all the slots with the good RAM.

Ram is Corsair Vengeance 4gb per stick 1866mhz.(4 sticks total)

dpinkerton

With the slower RAM installed you slow down the new RAM as well. Are you sure your mobo can hand the 1866 speed?

FrunkLaJe

Yes I'm sure(pretty sure). But it won't even start which is worrisome. I'm at a loss.

AeonSoul

Buy shut down suddenly you mean a BSOD? Cause if it's that then you might have a bad stock.

Don't worry about the frequency, if your motherboard can't handle it I guess it will just lower it to the max it can handle. But you should be able to handle 1866 MHz.

BrokeHombre

With the slower RAM installed you slow down the new RAM as well. Are you sure your mobo can hand the 1866 speed?

Don't worry about the frequency, if your motherboard can't handle it I guess it will just lower it to the max it can handle. But you should be able to handle 1866 MHz.

What dpinkerton says is true - if you have sticks of mixed speed, the machine will always defult to the slower speed.
Ive never known a machine to lower the speed to the max it can handle if the speeds were to fast. Every machine Ive stuck a stick of ram into that was 'too fast' would just not boot.
When I added memory to mine I added sticks that were 1600MHz...

yikes81

When the computer shuts down, try swapping the ram sticks around. If the computer boots up fine, do a memory check. Maybe you have a faulty ram stick.

Sent via Tapatalk

FrunkLaJe

Turns out, two out of the four ram sticks are defective. That's why it would sometimes start up and crash later. After more testing found out the CPU is also having Cache errors. Oh well, have to send it in now.

Thanks for your help and I found after removing the bad RAM the other two sticks can run at full speed.