RAM swap

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
Since when I'm bored at work I start wondering about stuff, and usually bad ideas pop in my mind, I was thinking that sometime in the future I might want to swap this stock 8gb RAM I got with something more beefy.
What worries me is that 2 slots are underneath the keyboard and I have absolutely no idea how to reach them.
Has anyone done this and know how to reach those 2 slots?

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah that has always put me off upgrading my M17 RAM too. Why the hell would they make 2 slots so easy to get to and the other 2 so freaking difficult?! Makes no sense to me but I'm sure they had a good reason................

There are YouTube videos of it. Go for it! Make a video and post it for us! :D

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
[video=youtube;rEC1U1WqG5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC1U1WqG5Y[/video]​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC1U1WqG5Y
I used this video to swap out my RAM under the keyboard. I upgraded to 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Sticks. When you get to the step where you take off the keyboard. I did it by removing the left side ribbon first only lifting the keyboard a few inches up. Then instead of just removing the other ribbon (the bigger one in the central area under the keyboard) I removed the 2 screws from the adapter piece that the ribbon connects 2 and it gave me enough room to remove the heat shield/RAM cover. I found it easier this way, but to each his own.
Other tips:
When taking off the plastic piece around the keyboard, Stick your fingers under it where F1 is, slightly lift up, work your way around the keyboard (go easy, get a feel for the amount of pressure you need to unsnap it)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
keyboardq.png
Heres an image of what it looks like under the keyboard.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Haven't given it a testing yet. I'm sure I won't really notice any major difference. I didn't do any benchmarks before the swap either. It just makes me feel better that I did it. It's like when you wash your car. I always feel it goes a bit faster afterwards! :D