test

RAM swap

AeonSoul

Since when I'm bored at work I start wondering about stuff, and usually bad ideas pop in my mind, I was thinking that sometime in the future I might want to swap this stock 8gb RAM I got with something more beefy.
What worries me is that 2 slots are underneath the keyboard and I have absolutely no idea how to reach them.
Has anyone done this and know how to reach those 2 slots?

MattyB

Yeah that has always put me off upgrading my M17 RAM too. Why the hell would they make 2 slots so easy to get to and the other 2 so freaking difficult?! Makes no sense to me but I'm sure they had a good reason................

There are YouTube videos of it. Go for it! Make a video and post it for us! :D

DDuB420

[video=youtube;rEC1U1WqG5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC1U1WqG5Y[/video]​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC1U1WqG5Y
I used this video to swap out my RAM under the keyboard. I upgraded to 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Sticks. When you get to the step where you take off the keyboard. I did it by removing the left side ribbon first only lifting the keyboard a few inches up. Then instead of just removing the other ribbon (the bigger one in the central area under the keyboard) I removed the 2 screws from the adapter piece that the ribbon connects 2 and it gave me enough room to remove the heat shield/RAM cover. I found it easier this way, but to each his own.
Other tips:
When taking off the plastic piece around the keyboard, Stick your fingers under it where F1 is, slightly lift up, work your way around the keyboard (go easy, get a feel for the amount of pressure you need to unsnap it)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DDuB420

Heres an image of what it looks like under the keyboard.

MattyB

Cheers. I will check back on this when I end up getting some new RAM.

MattyB

Going to need this vid next week. Just ordered 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz for my M17x! Thought briefly about getting 4x8GB but there's really no way in hell I will ever need 32Gb's of RAM.

DDuB420

Going to need this vid next week. Just ordered 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz for my M17x! Thought briefly about getting 4x8GB but there's really no way in hell I will ever need 32Gb's of RAM.

Glad I could help, good choice of RAM :)
Anything over 16GB is overkill.

yikes81

I'm not even sure if you will use the 8gb of ram. I ran 3 VMs and a ton of stuff at the same time and only came upto 6gb.

Sent via Tapatalk

DDuB420

Creating a RAMdisk could fill that free space up pretty quick. There are programs that create a RAMDisk image and loads it into the memory on boot.

Last edited:

MattyB

I know I will most likely never need it. Thinking things through properly has never really been one of my strong points. :p Don't know what a RAMdisk is but I'll have a look.

MattyB

Will do. I don't get home till thrusday so I'll probably get stuck into it first thing Friday.

MattyB

I forgot about the one posted here so I just googled it. It ended up being the same video anyway :p

All's well that ends well

MattyB

Haven't given it a testing yet. I'm sure I won't really notice any major difference. I didn't do any benchmarks before the swap either. It just makes me feel better that I did it. It's like when you wash your car. I always feel it goes a bit faster afterwards! :D