test

RAM upgrade only showing single channel

Methedrine

Hello all,

So I am a little stumped, I just upgraded my R4 to 2 x 8GB sticks of new RAM (link below) and whilst the laptop is working fine, CPU-Z is reporting that it is operating in single channel.

When placing the SO-DIMMs I put them in slot 1 and 3, as I had read that this is the correct configuration repeatedly across a few forums, so I am unsure why it is stuck. The BIOS basically gives you little control of anything either, so I can not seem to find the reason for this.

Is anyone able to clarify this? Would switching to slots 2 and 4 make any difference?

I also found conflicting information on a forum where someone was saying that you do not even need to put RAM in the correct slots any more, and that it is dynamically based, which would make the situation even more confusing. Sadly, the Dell manuals are pretty much useless as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231705

AeonSoul

Let me get this right. You placed RAM sticks one in the slot at the base of the laptop and one in the slot underneath the keyboard?

AeonSoul

Then don't. I'm pretty sure the RAM slots are paired the way the are for some specific reason. Place them both underneath the keyboard or in the slots at the base of the laptop.

Alienwulf

AeonSoul is 100% right..new Alienware laptops with four Dimms are always shipped 2 slots under first then the one's under the keyboard last..

Methedrine

Alright nice one. Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. Much appreciated.

Interestingly, basically every single thing I could Google up said to use slots 1 and 3.