test

recent AW engineer service :)

Nathan

So in the last month my AW17 started black screening alot in games (WOW, FF, Alien isolation) which i thought was due to downloading the latest Nvidia driver - i have the GTX 880m. I telephoned the dell helpline which was a bit of a maze but they put me through to the right guy! the AW tech was fantastic - we spoke on the phone whilst he accessed my rig remotely - after trying many different things (drivers etc) he concluded the g card was fried and he needs it to be sent to the workshop. He was really calm & nice about it and filled me with confidence with his knowledge & expertise. From that moment on it was like THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! and he arranged collection the following day. The courier service made contact immediately and were prompt. They repackaged my rig in what can be only described as a floating suspended animation box! and the only negative thing to report was the engineer explained it may take 2 weeks to get the job done. The response to my call and the quality of service has been extraordinary and i dont hesitate to recommend them ... so far I'm waiting for my rig as its in the workshop and i will keep an update as to the outcome here. Thumbs up so far AW - you got yourself a fanboy :)

jbomb7124

Glad to hear your experience has gone well so far. I just started a thread based on my current issues with my aw17. I had some over heating issue with the cpu. I called they sent a heat sink and fan to the local tech. My fan had actually bonded to the radiator of the heat sink so the tech replaced it. I ran a stress test while he was still there and it clicked and turned off. So he called dell and they are sending a box to me and I have to ship it back to them for them to diagnose the problem. Hope they find something As the tech that came to my home could not find any problems although he did witness it shut down mid run. Just click and it was off.

Nathan

Good luck Jbomb - i'm sure your rig is in safe hands at the AW HQ - they really know their products inside out - shame for you the tech couldn't sort it out remotely or at your home ...
For me, it's turns out i had a faulty fan for the motherboard & g card. I look forward to getting "my baby" back next week.

jbomb7124

The tech replaced my fan and heat sink. In my home. Apparently the fan housing actually melted to the heat sink.

jbomb7124

The tech replaced my fan and heat sink. In my home. Apparently the fan housing actually melted to the heat sink.
I'll be interested to find out what the actual problem is within my laptop. The guy on the phone said that it was likely a heat issue with the cpu new fan did nothing. And I never saw my cpu hit 90 before the pc clicked off. I have a feeling the cpu is either bad or something else is getting hot. ...very hot. Gpu rarely saw 70c sometimes 75c. I just hope they find something. I've had awful luck in the past with these intermittent failures. Not with alienware per say but with other things " we checked everything and don't see a problem so here ya go it's all good to go" 2 days later broke again and back it goes

jakef

sup owners.. i need a question, its my first time owning a AW 17 r3, so in my first registering the windows 10 my laptop suddenly stuck to windows (wait a momment) for an hours, then i found a solution and windows 10 installed but i noticed that my AW is super hot and noticed that the fans are not working??? so i went to the bios and enable the fan performace. so my question is... is it normal? without enabling the fan performace i wont get any air coming from the fan? cause it is'nt working with out enabling the fan performance, and with fan performace the fans are so loud kind of annoying.. need a answer please!!