test

Recent Spam

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
The site was littered with spam-bot posts today. All the posts, threads, and profile spam have been removed. Thanks to the Mods who helped remove it and to the members who alerted us by reporting it.

We have a couple a checks in place that prevent the bots from even registering and it has worked pretty well. To date it has denied 2,726 spammers from registering. If they do get around our checks, they normally make sleeper accounts. (here and on hundreds of other sites). They wait a few weeks to spam all at once. I review all new registrations and normally can weed out the bogus accounts. When they come back to spam they find the accounts already banned. :)

Today they registered and spammed right away before their IP, Email, and Username gets added to the global spammer database.

Thanks again to all that helped! Please report any post that you feel is spam. Just click on the report post image (
) at the bottom left of the post in question. It will always be a constant fight. This site will always be on top of it.

EMT911inWI

Yeah, I logged as soon as I received the report email and deleted and banned the spammer. I noticed Tommy was minutes behind me because the forums went offline and I saw he was on. Thanks to those who reported!

EMT

Maelstrom

At first all I saw was a couple of posts last night by a few bots. Then later this morning I saw the whole thread filled up. Good job to the mods (and Tommy) for solving this issue.

DDuB420

Thanks Tommy and the Mods for clearing that post cancer off the forums :cool:

There is a global spammer database? sounds like a toxic wasteland with zombies lol
good job guys, hammer those suckers!

jacobberke

I never understood the meaning of spammers, they kinda of like misquitos. There's no purpose to them, yet they are there.

These spammers get payed a little bit of cash per click, so whatever you do dont click on the spam links!! You just feed them if you do!

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Yeah, just report the post and we will remove it. They try to get their spam indexed in the search engines. If we remove it quick enough, it will never get indexed.

Shadowspike

I dint even notice any spam msgs
I guess tht means ull guys are doin a hell of a job keeping them away :p

MattyB

They were all removed within a day so only us AWO tragics and a few others really noticed.

Maelstrom

I also noticed that some of the posts were on old, outdated threads. Some threads are ok to be necro'd if they still have significance but sometimes I see new posts answering questions that are months old.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I dint even notice any spam msgs
I guess tht means ull guys are doin a hell of a job keeping them away :p

It was a few spam bots that got through out registration filters when the SFP database became unavailable for a few hours a while back. The accounts got banned and the posts/threads were removed quickly before the search engines could index their crap. Thanks to the Staff and members for acting and alerting us.

Don't confuse this with the recent post padding that was going due to the new giveaways. Some were reviving old threads with 2 - 3 word meaningless responses. Those were dealt with also. I posted about it here:

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/2721-Recent-Post-Padding

It is about keeping it fair for everyone!