test

Recommendations for better performance/upgrades?

Jjcczz

So I’ve got the original r1 with the 330w power supply. I think I maxed all the stats when I bought it because I also have the Blue Ray drive and 2TB hard drive. Anyway I only ever use it to play games, mostly on steam. It’s been a long time since I’ve really used it, but recently I’ve started trying to get back into gaming. However I’ve recently noticed some performance issues (Mainly brief periods of freezing/lag) when trying to play games like Subnautica with the graphics settings on high.

Can anyone recommend some performance upgrades or changes that I can make to fix or improve this?

MattyB

The obvious upgrade is the GPU. A decent upgrade if you're gaming at 1080p is a GTX 1060. It is suggested to get a 'blower' style card that pushes the hot air out the back rather than the dual fan style cards that keep the hot air inside.
The issues with the X51 are the power limitations and physical space inside. You have to make sure you get a card that has a reasonably low power draw and can fit inside.

Jjcczz

Ok thanks, is there a 1060 you’d recommend? I know there are lots of different versions depending on whose selling them.

MattyB

The Founders Edition is usually the way to go.
There is also an Asus Turbo GTX 1060 that I believe was a blower card