Regarding Alienware 17

Xaydes

I have one question in my mind.

In the future, can we actually upgrade our graphics card and processor to a new series of them?

MattyB

Welcome!

Yes you sure can. That's one of the great things about getting an AW 17 or 18.

Xaydes

That's nice!

Just want to know that, is it only AW17 and 18 is the laptop that can upgrade in the future? How many years max we can upgrade to?

MattyB,

Did u know some feedbacks or research on this 2 laptops? AW17 and MSI GT70 2OD. I myself ofcourse love the AW much more than the MSI. But, i just want to know their difference between performances.

MattyB

Ive never really looked into the MSI machines so I couldn't really compare them sorry.

As for the parts, you should be able to upgrade for as long as the part manufacturers use the same style of ports. CPU sockets change regularly but GPU ports seen to stay the same for a fairly long time.

kungfu-judo

MogRules

While the general consensus is yes you can upgrade down the line at least on the GPU, this all depends on the slot type not changing. IF Nvidia decides to change the slot type that the GPU runs on then you will be SOL but I don't think that will happen anytime soon honestly. The CPU is another story, as with almost any new line that intel releases it is always on a different socket type so chances are you will not be able to upgrade out of the family that your laptop came in ( example, if you bought a haswell CPU then you have to stick with haswell ) But you can upgrade to a faster CPU of the same family.

That being said I think those are the only 2 upgrades that might mess with warranty :S

shankc

Your warranty is fine when you upgrade gpu and cpu. They just wont cover the parts you upgraded unless you upgraded threw dell

Shadownl

I believe that the MSI had some more options of multiple HDD's in their laptops. Overall it's just about looks and preferences of the consumer likes or doesn't like.

Sarah

How would changing to a better GPU in a few years' time affect the machine's cooling though?

b4bylon

u need to clean the dust, new GPU generations always less power, less power = less heat... Newer GPU , better computer :)