Regarding Alienware 17

Xaydes

Sep 26, 2013
Malaysia
That's nice!

Just want to know that, is it only AW17 and 18 is the laptop that can upgrade in the future? How many years max we can upgrade to?

MattyB,

Did u know some feedbacks or research on this 2 laptops? AW17 and MSI GT70 2OD. I myself ofcourse love the AW much more than the MSI. But, i just want to know their difference between performances.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Ive never really looked into the MSI machines so I couldn't really compare them sorry.

As for the parts, you should be able to upgrade for as long as the part manufacturers use the same style of ports. CPU sockets change regularly but GPU ports seen to stay the same for a fairly long time.

kungfu-judo

Sep 19, 2013
usa

MogRules

Sep 26, 2013
Canada
While the general consensus is yes you can upgrade down the line at least on the GPU, this all depends on the slot type not changing. IF Nvidia decides to change the slot type that the GPU runs on then you will be SOL but I don't think that will happen anytime soon honestly. The CPU is another story, as with almost any new line that intel releases it is always on a different socket type so chances are you will not be able to upgrade out of the family that your laptop came in ( example, if you bought a haswell CPU then you have to stick with haswell ) But you can upgrade to a faster CPU of the same family.

That being said I think those are the only 2 upgrades that might mess with warranty :S