Removing throttles on GTX 580M

yikes81

Hi all,

I was looking around the interweb and found in another forum a thread regarding the removal of performance throttles on the GTX 580M. What are your thoughts on this and how safe do you think it is. The focus seems to be around lowering the performance of the GPU when the temperature reaches 79C. Apparently the cards are rated to perform at a much higher temperature than this, but it seems Dell is just being over cautious.

The reason I bring this over to the forum, is because I want to specifically ask the Alien owners. Please also note that there are no attachments in this post as I just copied and pasted the content.

Post from Notebook Review Forum:
Link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/616474-guide-580m-gtx-throtting-fix-no-need-modify-system-bios.html

------------
*Standard Warning*
BIOS Modifications, VBIOS Modifications and other system level tweaks can potentially cause damage to your system. Be aware of this before blindly flashing. If you brick your system or cause damage, chances are very high that your warranty will be useless. Know what you are doing, you are responsible for your actions.
------------

I created this thread separate from the GTX 580m vbios sticky so people could get to it quicker and it could be found easier.

So there has been a way to overcome throttling using a blind flash method but that was risky and some people didn't like it so I present to you a new way. This can be done in windows (with one restart). Please do this at your own risk, in the unlikely event, I am not responsible for any damaged video cards.

Dell recently released a vbios with a new entry in which increased the throttling clocks. To overcome throttling, all we needed to do is to raise the throttling clocks up to match the top speed so when it throttles, there is no change This give the illusion of no throttling

Non-3D users please go half way down to the next section

3D users, proceed here:
To do this, you will need to download:
Download NVFlash 5.100.0.1 for Windows | techPowerUp
and the attachment below. There are 2, one is 580m.ROM which is a normal one with throttle fix, the 580m92v.ROM is an overvolted one.

Now extract the 3 nvflash files somewhere, leave the window open, put your chosen .rom file there too.

Next, type cmd into the start search bar. you'll see cmd.exe come up, run as admin. Now drag the nvflash.exe into the black Command Prompt window. Then type "-b backup.rom" without quotes. That will backup your original vbios to the root of your C drive.

Now, drag the nvflash.exe into the Command Prompt again, then type space, "-4 -5 -6" after 6, press space once and drag the .rom file into the cmd window. Press enter, it will ask you a few things, press y both times. When it is all finished, close everything. Restart your computer. Viola! Verify with Furmark I guarantee that it will stay at 620mhz for the whole time.

Fix for non-3D Optimus users
Optimus blocks access to the GPU and flashing within windows brings up non-detection errors. So we have to get around this using a bootable USB options

What we need is a bootable USB. To create this, you need:
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking
and the files here:
Windows 98 System Files Download - EXTREME Overclocking

And download this version of nvflash:
Download NVFlash 5.100.0.1 | techPowerUp
The version above is for a DOS environment.

Run the USB utility and point that to your USB drive. Check Quick Format and also check Create DOS startup disk and select the from files located at option. Point that to the folder in which you extracted the files from the second link. Hit go and it should create a bootable DOS drive.

Now stick the nvflash files you downloaded on the drive. Now keep that drive in and reboot. Hit F12 and boot from USB. You will see a Win98 splash for a split second. The command prompt will come up and type:

nvflash -b backup.rom

Once that's finished. Just hold the power button to shut down. Reboot into windows and check that the backup.rom is truly on the USB. That is your backup, put that in a safe place. Now, stick your vbios of choice from below on the stick. Same thing, reboot and use this command:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 "name of vbios"

"name of vbios" is either 580m.rom or 580m92v.rom depending on what you chose. Remember to always add the .rom extension.

It will do a few checks. Press y for both times. Once that's done. Shut down, reboot. Open up Nvidia Inspector. Show overclocking. Verify with the drop down that P1 and P0 have the same clocks.

That's it for optimus users

If you want to overclock, you will need nvidia inspector and only nvidia inspector. It is the only app that can OC more than one p-state. When you open that up, it will look like GPU-z. Click show overclocking and up at the top, there will be a drop down for you to select the Performance Level. You will need to overclock (P1) and (P0) to the same clocks for everything to work well. To OC the core (this is greyed out), just move the Shader slider. Core = 2xShader

That's it guys! Have fun.

PS The 580m vbios has a voltage of 0.87v. This voltage will be fine for up to 740/750Mhz but if the hardcore benchers want any higher, I have included another vbios. The 580m92v.ROM one is @0.92v. Same as above, just drag the 580m92v.rom into your cmd instead of 580m.rom. This will allow you to take the core beyond 800 and the memory as high as 2000.

The 0.92v is only for EXTREME OVERCLOCKERS and BENCHERS. If you aren't any of those, don't use it!

Attached Files

vbios.zip (94.8 KB, 349 views)