Repasting help (m17x r4, Gtx 675m)

Rapid_Sausage

Hi all
i want to repaste my 675m as it is clearly a better option than the stock thermal pad that was put between the heatsink and gpu die.

However, i've been recently told that this thermal pad may be serving as a Gap Pad as the space between the heatsink and gpu die is too big for thermal paste.

so to the owners of the R4, what do i do??, do i need a copper shim??

Note:i dont want to decouple the heatsink from the gpu since i don't have a replacement pad.

Rapid_Sausage

your going with pads AND paste or just paste? this significantly increases the cooling ?
From the knowledge i gathered, you should NEVER apply both paste AND pads on any component anywhere ever.

The paste is usually applied on the cpu and gpu dies because it has a lot better thermal conductivity than pads, these areas are the most heat generating component in any rig.

The pads are usually applied on things such as the vram and pretty much any rectangular black part of any component as they don't produce as much heat, but do require cooling.

cool so what paste did you decide to go with? ive seen re-pasting mentioned a few places. i know that heat is our number 1 enemy so im thinking proactively since this is already an older r4 (bought used idk if it was refurbished came from alienware buyback program???) Im already thinking of a fan mod and maybe re-pasting with IC Diamond.

Rapid_Sausage

cool so what paste did you decide to go with? ive seen re-pasting mentioned a few places. i know that heat is our number 1 enemy so im thinking proactively since this is already an older r4 (bought used idk if it was refurbished came from alienware buyback program???) Im already thinking of a fan mod and maybe re-pasting with IC Diamond.
I've gone with prolimatech pk3, it's a tad expensive but has good reviews and benchmarks.