test

replacing my GTX 260

Anozira

hi, I am a new member and also a newbi and I need your help please. I have an Aurora desktop that I purchased oct of 2009. it came with an nvidia GTX 260 and now I want to upgrade (finally) to a GTX 770. my motherboard is a 0H869M version A00 running the i7 cpu 920 @2.67 ghz. the GTX 260 board is a 2.0 X 16 and the GTX 770 is a 3.0 X 16. this will be the first upgrade I've done to this computer. I read somewhere that the new GTX 770 won't work properly and that it will bottle neck because the motherboard is too old. is this true? any suggestions would help before I purchase the GTX 770. thank you .. :)

sway

I'm pretty sure you'll be alright, That's a nice upgrade though, you'll be happy. The current gen GPUs don't even Max out 2.0 yet, so 3.0 won't give any performance jump at all. What resolution do you use? Do you use multi monitors or 3d?

tappin from a N E X U S

MattyB

You'll be fine. Last year I upgraded my old i7 920 GTX 260 machine to a GTX 670 with no problems at all and the new gen cards aren't that much different.

Anozira

thanks sway and MattyB for the great news! to sway, I use one monitor 25.5 in Samsung and the resolution is 1920 X 1200. actually that is next on my wish list is to get a killer monitor. one thing I would like to say is I don't care much for Dell but this Alienware is hands down the best computer I have ever owned. in over 3 and 1/2 years I have never had ONE problem with it, never had to call tech support. I run it at least 30 to 40 hours a week. it is the best money I have ever spent. thanks Alienware...

sway

thanks sway and MattyB for the great news! to sway, I use one monitor 25.5 in Samsung and the resolution is 1920 X 1200. actually that is next on my wish list is to get a killer monitor. one thing I would like to say is I don't care much for Dell but this Alienware is hands down the best computer I have ever owned. in over 3 and 1/2 years I have never had ONE problem with it, never had to call tech support. I run it at least 30 to 40 hours a week. it is the best money I have ever spent. thanks Alienware...

Imo since you wanna upgrade your monitor down the road, I'd get a 4gb 770. That way you'll have plenty of vram, and won't have to worry about it. Some of these games are already going past 2gb, for example metro LL and I'm sure bf4 will be up there as well.

tappin from a N E X U S

Anozira

thanks sway for that info! the first game I wanted to get when I purchased the GTX 770 was Metro. lol I will wait for the 4 gb. thanks again and have a nice day :)

sway

thanks sway for that info! the first game I wanted to get when I purchased the GTX 770 was Metro. lol I will wait for the 4 gb. thanks again and have a nice day :)

May not have to wait, I've heard the gigabyte 4gb 770, and just gigabyte cards in general are really good cards. I've heard several people even say they were faster in certain benches and some games out of the box over say evga. I'm an evga fan but I'm def open to more powerful different brand cards with better coolers like the msi lightning or gigabyte cards. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 2x 4gb 670ftw for a 780 so I can get another later.

I didn't mention however I game at 1440p res, so my vram in games will be higher than lower res monitors. Since you wanna upgrade though I'd go with more vram.

tappin from a N E X U S

Anozira

hi, just wanted to give an update. I purchased the Gigabyte GTX 770 4gb Wind force 3X. wow, when just watching a video or surfing the web my 260 would ramp up and be a bit loud. the 770 is sooo quiet and I don't think it even runs lol. the power supply fan is louder than the 770. I am officially a " happy camper ". what a great graphics card! thanks Sway for suggesting this one. :) oh by the way, I called tech support to find out what my ps wattage is on my Aurora. it turns out to be 875 watts. wahoo! I don't have to change that now.

MattyB

Awesome news! You'll be able to put another one in there too without any problems! One should do the trick though :)

jayhernandez7

I agree with @sway, you might as well upgrade to something BIG ;). 4GB is a great amount of VRAM nowadays. I'm thinking of getting an NVidia 4GB GPU for my next Intel build.

Anozira

hi, time for another update. I went ahead and purchased a new monitor to go with my new Gigabyte GTX 770. wow what a difference from my GTX 260 :) I bought one of those new 27" 2560 x 1440p QNIX monitors. I can only overclock it to 117 hz any higher I get artifacts. had almost no back light bleed and only 1 stuck pixel which you can't see. this monitor is awesome!! especially gaming. well... now I don't have anymore money to buy Metro :( more overtime I suppose. lol I even purchased it in the USA. I just love how things are working out with my Aurora...

sway

hi, time for another update. I went ahead and purchased a new monitor to go with my new Gigabyte GTX 770. wow what a difference from my GTX 260 :) I bought one of those new 27" 2560 x 1440p QNIX monitors. I can only overclock it to 117 hz any higher I get artifacts. had almost no back light bleed and only 1 stuck pixel which you can't see. this monitor is awesome!! especially gaming. well... now I don't have anymore money to buy Metro :( more overtime I suppose. lol I even purchased it in the USA. I just love how things are working out with my Aurora...

Nice upgrade, that extra gpu power is perfect for that monitor. I can't wait till I get 3 of those qnix monitors for surround.

tappin from the NeXus 4