Resolution Weirdness

ShorePatrol

Sep 29, 2016
I recently bought the Alienware 17r3 laptop with UHD resolution (3840x2160). The scaling is set to 250% which is the Windows recommended setting. The laptop screen is fine, aside from some applications appearing pretty small, while others appear fine - but that's not really my issue.

I connected a second monitor using the HDMI output (to DVI) - the second monitor is set at 1920x1200 and the scaling is set to 100% on this monitor. The second monitor is set to "extended" so it's not a mirror of the laptop - it's a second screen.

I have two problems so far:

1) If I place an icon on the desktop of the second monitor - they are GIGANTIC.

2) Some applications, like Adobe Photoshop (latest version) are GIGANTIC - it looks like it's at 800x600 or something - while other applications, like Adobe Dreamweaver look fine.

I almost regret getting the UHD - I am open to advice on how to manage these issues.

Please help!

Thanks!

Dave

PS - Would it be better to connect the second monitor with the Thunderbolt port? Would that make any difference?

ShorePatrol

Sep 29, 2016
Same config, same issue. Anyone?
Dustin - I have bad news for you. As I've found out - there really is no workaround that's good. You basically have two choices:

1) Reduce your laptop resolution to FHD

2) Buy all UHD monitors

All your displays should match, either FHD or UHD. Otherwise you will have these weird display issues. You can tweak the scaling %, but then on FHD monitors when you have your icons to a normal look, everything else will be super tiny (applications). This may be ok if it's a really large monitor.

I ended up replacing my two external monitors with UHD. The bad part about this is, many programs out there (even new ones) don't really have UHD support, so their interfaces are somewhat wonky. My hope is in the future 4K becomes standard, and all programs will support it - but that's definitely not the case as of now.