Running at 800mhz?

I noticed when benchmarking my alienware 17 my ram is coming up at 800mhz, when advertised at 1600, if i try to clock it to 1600 the computer just beeps after the restart. A previous computer of mine was also DDR3 and i didnt have this issue...is it a problem with the computer? I've also noticed a lag when going onto google crome, like it takes about 8 seconds before it shows the first site after selecting crome, but after just runs smooth unless opening another browser. The computer passes all system tests.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
You may have an issue with you memory then. Maybe just 1 stick is faulty which is causing the others to drop speeds to match. not exactly sure how it works. If you're willing to open up your machine, i would check each stick one at a time.
Best thing to do may be to call Dell first though.

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
Same here CPUID shows 800mhz however Bios show 1600 mhz and my Windows Experience score is higher then another rig which is running 800mhz. I don't have the WE score atm but I know my AW was surpassing all scores of my other laptop.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
The ram speed is correct... It's Double Data Rate, therefore the 'effective clock speed' is double the value you're seeing.

For example my ram is clocked @2400, in cpuz shows up as 1200mhz. In the bios it shows up as the overall speed, which in my case is 2400mhz.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Last edited: