Running at 800mhz?

spacebooger

I noticed when benchmarking my alienware 17 my ram is coming up at 800mhz, when advertised at 1600, if i try to clock it to 1600 the computer just beeps after the restart. A previous computer of mine was also DDR3 and i didnt have this issue...is it a problem with the computer? I've also noticed a lag when going onto google crome, like it takes about 8 seconds before it shows the first site after selecting crome, but after just runs smooth unless opening another browser. The computer passes all system tests.

MattyB

Where is it coming up as 800? Some programs will only show it as 800 (like CPU-Z) since DDR means Double Data Rate so 800 is really 1600.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

What does it say in your BIOS?

MattyB

You may have an issue with you memory then. Maybe just 1 stick is faulty which is causing the others to drop speeds to match. not exactly sure how it works. If you're willing to open up your machine, i would check each stick one at a time.
Best thing to do may be to call Dell first though.

spacebooger

I have no problem opening it up, (had to rebuild my g53sw) lol, I'm gonna give a call to dell though its warrantied they should fix it if theres an issue, I have noticed hang time, and also sound issues where the sound just wont work for maybe a minute then comes back.

MattyB

Yeah better to get all the issues addressed with them at once. That's what warranties are for I guess.

I think they still insist on putting 2 of the RAM slots under the keyboard in the new ones which is a pain.

AeonSoul

run memtest86+ to check your ram and see how it goes from there.

shankc

Yeah mine comes up as 800mhz when benchmarking but 1600mhz in BIOS

forJAT

Same here CPUID shows 800mhz however Bios show 1600 mhz and my Windows Experience score is higher then another rig which is running 800mhz. I don't have the WE score atm but I know my AW was surpassing all scores of my other laptop.

sway

The ram speed is correct... It's Double Data Rate, therefore the 'effective clock speed' is double the value you're seeing.

For example my ram is clocked @2400, in cpuz shows up as 1200mhz. In the bios it shows up as the overall speed, which in my case is 2400mhz.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Last edited:

MattyB

That's cool. Everyone makes mistakes. Except me of course