RX 480 in Stock X51 R1: Will it work?

Laskeet

I'm trying to get some more life out of my x51 r1. I already have a 330 watt power supply already coming in the mail. Dell accidentally sent me a 90w power supply originally, and I realized this after the period passed
Anyways, I am aware that the R1 has the power chip that restarts the computer if the GPU draws too much power for it, regardless of whether you have a 90 watt adapter or a 330 watt. This creates a major bottleneck, and was a huge pain for people who wanted the GTX 960. I didn't even put in a video card in my R1 because I didn't feel like going through the hassle only to find out that the power chip won't allow it.
Fast forward to this year, and I am seeing that some of the new cards aren't drawing nearly as much power, and I see some pages saying that the RX 480 will work with the X51. I've also heard that upgrading the BIOS can solve the resetting problem now in some cases.
Now, I'm not sure if this only applies to the R2 and R3. I'd want the RX 480 8gb version; overclocking not necessary. Has anyone with an R1 sucessfully upgraded their video card to an RX 480 8gb?

also, I don't want to screw with the power board.

Kev

I was also looking at the RX 480, but after looking at the test reviews, its to power hungry for the 330 watt power supply, it almost uses the same amount of power as a GTX 1080, you would be better of going for a GTX 1060.

Laskeet

I'm going to try it today. I was reading that too, but a lot of the reviews were written right after the RX 480 was released. Its power consumption was significantly higher than stated. AMD released a fix so that the card draws less power. I've seen a couple of forum posts from more recently (October-November) saying that the 480 works in an R1. However no one elaborated on it; they could have done the power board upgrade, or even mistaken an R2 for an R1.