test

S/PDIF port and issues...

saadsolaiman

Guys I'm fairly new to alienware. I was thinking of using the SPDIF port for surround sound but I've seen these posts online about how when the SPDIF port is used ..the mother board gets damaged and the speakers don't turn back on.
I've been reading that this happens when people use the spdif adapter which comes with the laptop. Anyone have any kind of experience regarding this? What if I were to use a 3rd party spdif/toslink adapter or something?

DDuB420

Yikes81 has had this happen to his m17xr3, he had to get his Mobo replaced.
Me personally, I think it's too much of a gamble. I threw mine out and am never going to plug anything into that port.

yikes81

Yeh, there is a whole thread on here about not using your spdif port. I highly recommend you NOT use this port.

Tapatalk'n on the Galaxy S4

AeonSoul

Well yeah I've read the same thing over and over, and I decided myself not to take the gamble, but the thing that puzzles me is that if it's a faulty port or a faulty adapter.

yikes81

Is a faulty adapter. You can plug in regular 3.5mm plugs such as headphones and they work fine.

Tapatalk'n on the Galaxy S4

Sleepy

This is why I decided to use the USB plug surround sounds style head phones on my m18x , on a personal note I have to say they seem to work well for my gaming , but I'm not a big sound geek lol but I am deadly at bf3 hahhahhaa

Lozano

I'm kinda late on this issue but I found a solution for the adapter that comes with the alienware.

Grab a knife and begin to slightly carve the pastic around for it to fit inside