test

SATA

Commy1

So I ran an Aida64 trial and checked out some of the stuff on the R1 motherboard, but it doesn't give me the info I need. Basically I want to upgrade to an SSD but I wanna know if it supports SATAlll (3.0). I plan on removing the default HD and putting it into an optical caddy I got off eBay, and putting the SSD in the standard HD slot, then cloning the windows files over and booting from there.

ANY way, I know that the Optical cable won't support SATA 3, does the standard bay?

This is the SSD I plan on getting:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

AeonSoul

First you should check your manual.
I know for sure that there was some shady stuff going on about SATA III on the m17x r3, not sure about the m14x.
You should try to check notebookreviews and their forums and see if you can find something in there.

Commy1

Hmm people getting weird results but it looks totally possible.. very strange. You'd think it'd be simple as "install - clone - click - start"

AeonSoul

Well as I said to Matty, a good ground rule when upgrading to an SSD would be making a fresh install of windows. I've read somwhere that people eperienced less perfomances with a cloned system than with a freshly installed one.
To sum it up, seems that cloning kills SSD performances.

Commy1

I just don't want to loose the AlienwareFX and whatever other Alien Exclusive software comes with it.

AeonSoul

I just don't want to loose the AlienwareFX and whatever other Alien Exclusive software comes with it.

You can reinstall that later most likely.
I'm going to perform a full SSD clean install in the next hours, I'll let you know about it.

MattyB

You shouldn't lose any of the AlienFX stuff because all of that should be on an Alienware daughterboard. You are best to do a complete clean Windows reinstall. Do not clone your old HDD. I hear that can give you some problems and not give you the performance you expect from an SSD.

I did a complete Windows reinstall on my M11x and I had no problems. Alien Command Centre did it's thing perfectly when it was reinstalled. You just have to deal with going through all the driver installation bullshit. It is definitely worth doing a clean reinstall.

I have had a few drinks tonight so I'm not sure how good my advice is..... :-/

Commy1

Ok, hmmm I do have a program called Double Driver. So I'd just run it, copy/paste the file onto the SSD, run it and go from there?

MattyB

I'm not sure about that. Is that an external program that helps you reinstall your Alienware/Intel drivers? If you use the Alienware driver CD after you install Windows, it should run you through the step by step instructions how to get all your drivers back. Apparently you need to get the order right for it to all work properly.

AeonSoul

I can confirm you that doing a fresh windows installation (I used the copy it was shipped with my m17x) doesn't breakany of the AW functions, like AlienFX and such. You just have to reinstall them :)
Be sure tu launch windows update before installing alienware command center, so it will install .NET framework 4.0.

Do let me know how much difference in performance you get always been curious. They (SSDs) are dam expensive here :(

Commy1

I will post some benchmarks when I get them. I reasoned that a fresh install was easiest. I'll see if I can reduce as much stuff on my HD as possible, while still keeping Windows installed, so I can boot from either HD. Then if I have a problem there won't be any warranty issue, just swap back and good to go.

Commy1

Alrighty, so as usual Newegg.ca's shipping is amazingly fast. I got my SSD yesterday, and have successfully installed it in my laptop, as well as a fresh install of Windows 7 and all the drivers I need. Unfortunately...

I did a lot of reading about whether or not the laptop was even capable of SATA 3 and yes, it is, but I'm not getting it. I installed Windows in ACHI format, I went into my registry after installation to make sure. I'm getting 15 second boot times and am very pleased with it, but know it could be better.

However my Windows Experience Rating is very high now, I am very pleased. Sitting pretty at a 7.1 being my GPU OC'd to 710mhz, the SSD reading at a bomby 7.8.
Based on AS SSD benchmarking, it says that the drive is only running at SATA 2 capacity.. which is disappointing. I want to have whip-lash after watching my SSD work.

I don't know what to do, I have all the latest drivers and firmware, presumably the correct format, everything I know of checks out. Anyone have any insight?
Lastly, is it possible for my to run a program installed on the old HD, on the SSD installed Windows? If yes, how?if no, should I format the default HD so I can get more space?

Attachments

• WindowsExperience7.1.jpg
    WindowsExperience7.1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4

Commy1

I installed the SSD in the primary bay, the second HD is in a caddy in the optical drive.

Commy1

That seems pretty quick to me! What speed would you expect?
SATA ll reads at 250mbps and writes at 200mbps (correct me if I'm wrong?), SATA lll runs double. The Vertex is capable of 550mbps reads. and 500mbps writes.

Maelstrom

SATA ll reads at 250mbps and writes at 200mbps (correct me if I'm wrong?), SATA lll runs double. The Vertex is capable of 550mbps reads. and 500mbps writes.

That's correct, SATA 2 has a max at around 300 mbps read and 150 write. SATA 3 has a max roughly at 600 mbps read and 300 mbps write.