SATA

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I have done a few benchmarks on my Corsair SSD using ATTO Disk Benchmark and (unless I'm reading it wrong) it's telling me I have up to 551 mb/s read and 527 mb/s write. Would this not be right? I don't have anything to take a screenshot unfortunately.

I am getting a 24 second boot time which I thought was fast. 15 seconds seems super quick. Does the processor have anything to do with this as well?

Wow, you are indeed getting the most out of your SSD. I'm surprised you're getting that though, it should be almost instanteous boots. Perhaps you're running above average programs on start up?
type in 'msconfig' in the Windows Start menu search bar and see what programs are running on boot, then maybe check your services? Iunno, it's hard to say without seeing it.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
A little bit of advice needed for disabling some of these startup programs. I have read somewhere that it is safe to disable any item with a command starting with 'C:\Program Files\.......' Is this correct? Will these programs just load when needed later?

Edit: These are what I currently have selected.
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless
CTMasterOnOffMonitor
AmbRun Endpoints Dynamic Link Library
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
RequiredApplicationsLauncher
Microsoft Security Client
Intel(R) Common User Interface
Stage Remote Manager
Realtek HD Audio Manager
HD Audio Background Process
IAStorIcon
Creative Volume Panel
FATrayMon

Can I disable any of these with no problems?

Last edited:

Maelstrom

Feb 25, 2012
Alabama
A little bit of advice needed for disabling some of these startup programs. I have read somewhere that it is safe to disable any item with a command starting with 'C:\Program Files\.......' Is this correct? Will these programs just load when needed later?

Edit: These are what I currently have selected.
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless
CTMasterOnOffMonitor
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
RequiredApplicationsLauncher
Microsoft Security Client
Intel(R) Common User Interface
Stage Remote Manager
Realtek HD Audio Manager
IAStorIcon
Creative Volume Panel
FATrayMon

Can I disable any of these with no problems?

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless - If you have Killer Wireless you can disable this.
CTMasterOnOffMonitor
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver - This is the touchpad, don't mess with this one.
RequiredApplicationsLauncher - I'm not sure what this is but it sounds important.
Microsoft Security Client - Security :/
Intel(R) Common User Interface - This looks like the control panel for you Intel settings. It may be for other things as well though.
Stage Remote Manager - I think this one is for the Dell Stage.
Realtek HD Audio Manager - This is for the Audio Manager, if you don't use the manager you could disable it.
IAStorIcon
Creative Volume Panel
FATrayMon

Hey guys so after much googling I found a legitimate optimizing guide to making your SSD run well. I went through with all of it and it insightful. I have a couple of the options already done.. and I'm still not getting my SATA 3 speeds XP I don't think the M14x R1 actually runs on SATA 3 contrary to what I've heard from others...

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m14x/672655-sata-iii-fix-m14x-r1.html

Last edited:
Ok guys I verify without a doubt that this is a fix.
I made the account on TI and was able to download the modded A08 BIOS and sure enough, I'm now getting SATA 3 speeds from my SSD.

I went into the BIOS options and wow he's added SO many more options. Built in CPU Overclock, everything. It's pretty sweet, I recommend this to anyone with an SSD.

Last edited:
So as I understand it, the Alienware M14x had an older version of the BIOS called A05 which at the time supported SATA 3 speeds. The current BIOS version is A08 which does not support SATA 3. So what the guy did is mod the A08 version with the A05 compatibility and he unlocked several BIOS features like built in Overclock and numerous other technical options I don't feel like messing with.