Scared for the future

Hey guys, i purchased my X51 about 5 - 6 months ago and seeing the alienware steambox as well as the 12 others that will be released along side with it are beginning to erk me a bit. this has been alienware's small form factor pc for a while now but with the steambox slowly becoming a reality im just not sure if they will continue to support the x51 with things such as a long awaited stronger PSU. my gtx 660 is doing me fine at the moment allowing me to play most if not all of my games at close to max setting which i am happy with, but with newer and more intensive games coming out im not sure if its just gonna cut it. i really do not want to do a psu mod as im really not the best with modding and it seems a bit too overcomplicated for me. overall im just wondering about what your thoughts on this topic might be as well as sugestions. honestly im just hoping the nvidia 800 series of cards has a lower power draw, but one can only hope.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
Computers don't last forever, you'll eventually have to upgrade one way or another. Games get way more difficult to run, higher resolution monitors, etc... it's how it's always been.

If you want to be safe for a long time, a console is a safer choice. The x51 is pretty awesome, but upgrades are highly limited due to its size. If you don't want to slightly mod it for a full size psu (which I understand is not for everyone) your even more limited. If you use a full size psu, and put a 780 or 780ti in there you'd be set for a while.

It's actually really easy to use a full size psu, I believe you just jump the mobo connectors and plug in the pcie cable to the gpu. You'll need to drill a hole in the back of the x51, but that's easy. It's a desktop so just hide the psu somewhere. Sounds like in your case you should build a pc, that way it's easy to upgrade when you need to. My x51 turned into a $3k custom built pc that I'm still not done with.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa
Yeah sway is right that's the good and bad about PC building is there always obsolete, something new is always coming out. Right now i'm running a GTX 680 overclocked on my stock 330w PSU and it runs anything i throw at it. I'm not running mega high res just 1080p but i play on a HD TV so that's perfect for me and i play battlefield 4 on ultra settings all day long with 55-60fps and i only have a i3 cpu and 6GB RAM. I still have more room for upgrades like a i7, 16GB RAM and a SSD to make things run even better. The x51 is great and will last a while if you take the time to dial it in. But yes i bought mine knowing about the steam box's and the only one that really caught my eye was the one from IBuyPower but my x51 is more powerful at the moment since they will be using the 270x to hit there $499 price tag. I bought my x51 for $475 sold the GTX 645 for $50 then bought my 680 for $260 so i'm not even in my pc for much at all and it runs everything.

I guess what i'm trying to say is if you max out the x51 you will be happy for a long time and it will last you a while but there is always something better out there. Just my 2 cents.

ejohnson

May 4, 2012
MN
Keep in mind that the steambox that alienware is making is going to end up running a laptop style mxm gpu. So while it will be pretty powerfull, it still wont hold a candle to the full power of a desktop gpu.

From what I can tell, alienwares steambox will be about on par with a m14x, if they jack up the cost maybe even a m17x. Using alot of the same parts, same designs. For what they are saying the price will be (xbox one/ps4 range) your going to get a i3/i5 and a gtx750/765.
The box they showed is just not big enough to house a motherboard and a gpu of standard design.

Also something keep in mind, the steam box is designed to stream games from your desktop aswell as play them, so it doesnt need to be a super powerhouse. Its much like the nvidia shield.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
Keep in mind that the steambox that alienware is making is going to end up running a laptop style mxm gpu. So while it will be pretty powerfull, it still wont hold a candle to the full power of a desktop gpu.

From what I can tell, alienwares steambox will be about on par with a m14x, if they jack up the cost maybe even a m17x. Using alot of the same parts, same designs. For what they are saying the price will be (xbox one/ps4 range) your going to get a i3/i5 and a gtx750/765.
The box they showed is just not big enough to house a motherboard and a gpu of standard design.

Also something keep in mind, the steam box is designed to stream games from your desktop aswell as play them, so it doesnt need to be a super powerhouse. Its much like the nvidia shield.

Oh I didn't even know about the steam box only having a mobile gpu, never thought about it either. That right there makes a huge difference, mobile gpus don't last long at all. Especially when it hooks up to a more powerful display than just a laptop display. Although it's aimed at the console crowd even more than the x51 is.

I can't stand playing games below 1440p @96hz now, it looks horrible

tappin from the neXus 5

bbond007

Jul 19, 2013
Miami
Not to worry, 20nm Maxwell will breath new life into the x51. I'm happy with my 660 ti for now. I don't have plans to go beyond 1080p for a long time. Could use some more GPU for 3d I suppose.

Also the MB is standard ITX so you can upgrade that along the way as well.

The more I see of these steambox things, The more I think the refurb x51 was the better plan than had I had waited for steamboxxen.