Screen Refresh Lines

duhuhu

I have had my Alienware 14 for about 9 months now, and for the past 3 there has been an annoying issue with my screen where when i am watching videos or playing games, or doing basically anything that moves across the screen, there is a tear line horizontal across the screen. when i called tech support, they had "no idea" what it could be. unfortunately none of my screenshots were able to capture it so i assume it is an issue with the screen itself.

Has anyone else had this issue? if so do you have any idea how to solve it? like I said tech support was of little help so I'm unsure that if it is a physical issue with the computer that it will be able to be fixed.

I am running windows 7 premium 64 bit with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M and Intel HD Graphics 4600 video cards installed. I've tried doing a clean install of the video drivers for both the graphics processors to no avail, and I have tried a complete power down of the computer (removal of the battery then power drain of every component of the system) which seemed to fix the issue for all of 5 minutes.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

valado

Hi,

if you can't capture the issue on a screenshot or with any video screen capture app probably the issue
is the screen/screen cable itself. You can try to attach the laptop to an external monitor
and see if there you can reproduce the problem.

If i understood correctly your machine is still in warranty. If so just call DELL and tell them
to send a tech. guy to solve the problem and if necessary replace your screen and/or screen cable.

Cheers

duhuhu

I have discovered some new information on this subject, The lines only appear when i am using the HDMI port to add a second screen (which i do A LOT), and when a 3rd screen is added, the problem goes away. It looks to me like it is a synchronization issue between the GPU and the screen's refresh rate.

bawosg

I have had my Alienware 14 for about 9 months now, and for the past 3 there has been an annoying issue with my screen where when i am watching videos or playing games, or doing basically anything that moves across the screen, there is a tear line horizontal across the screen. when i called tech support, they had "no idea" what it could be. unfortunately none of my screenshots were able to capture it so i assume it is an issue with the screen itself.

Has anyone else had this issue? if so do you have any idea how to solve it? like I said tech support was of little help so I'm unsure that if it is a physical issue with the computer that it will be able to be fixed.

I am running windows 7 premium 64 bit with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M and Intel HD Graphics 4600 video cards installed. I've tried doing a clean install of the video drivers for both the graphics processors to no avail, and I have tried a complete power down of the computer (removal of the battery then power drain of every component of the system) which seemed to fix the issue for all of 5 minutes.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Do you see it familiar with your case ? I also got screen issue with Alienware 14 as below pic
IMG_4535.JPG

duhuhu

no, mine are horizontal and scrolling down the screen, looks like you have a couple pixel lines out. if you still have warranty, i think they cover that.