test

Seriously considering ordering the X51 this weekend, need some Samsung SSD info

Kanniballl

1) I'm debating either getting the 256GB SSD option, OR getting the cheapest 1TB HDD option and putting in a Samsung 2.5" 7mm 512GB SSD

These are a little slimmer than normal, will I have a problem mounting it to a bracket and have it slide right in?​

2) Anyone know the (approx) length of the power cord BETWEEN the PC and the brick?

I'd like for the brick to lay on the ground behind my desk, but obviously I don't want it to hang. Just wondering for where to put the box.​

3) I see some people are putting in the 670 FTW and down-clocking the voltage... if I decide to do this too, what should I set it to?

The Voltage / Clock downclocking is more important to me than fan speed​

4) Is there potential of eventually frying the machine by putting in a video card that's more Watts/Volts than the 330PSW can handle?

While I'd like a little more "oomph" and I see from the Dell support boards some people are having issues with the OEM card, I also don't want to mess up this nice machine​

Last edited:

MattyB

Sorry, can't help you too much with these questions but there are a few guys here that have probably given the 670 a go. I have heard that some people haven't needed to downclock their card.

I would definitely get the HDD with your order and upgrade to an SSD yourself.

Hopefully someone here can give you a bit more info and lead you in the right direction.

If I were you, I would just order one now and start worrying about the upgrades once you have it. :D

VagrantXeth

I installed the GTX 670 FTW in my X51 and it has been running like a champ without the need to downclock it. So if you decide to go that route, you should be fine.

sway

Definitely get the ssd after you order the x51. You can get a Samsung 256gb ssd at newegg for 169$.

tappin on the aokp running Nexus 7

Orcvader

I bought the X51 and should be getting it this Friday. I also bought it with the std HDD and plan to add an SSD later, not sure the specifics yet but my research will start tomorrow. :)

sway

I would upgrade the hdd to sdd myself and save a few bucks.

You won't save a few bucks ordering the ssd with x51 from dell, you can get a 256gb ssd from newegg for around 160$ now.

tappin from the aokp running Nexus