test

SERVICE:Alienware Light Repair from Bricked Controller on M11x, M14x, M15x M17x, M18x

sitedude

I was just writing to inform anyone that has bricked the AlienFX controller and has lost lights on their Alienware laptop that I can fix it.

What happens is the CD that comes with your Alienware comes with an outdated version of the Command Center which Flashes (re-programs) the SiLabs chip that contains the software to control the lights.

I am able to disassemble and manually reprogram the chip with the correct firmware (software)

If anyone has this issue you most likely have learned that there is no software fix for it, and if you are out of warranty Dell wants to charge you $800 to repair it.

[video=youtube;7Q9fNcVXkqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9fNcVXkqA[/video]

Here is a video of one I have done for someone on the Dell Forums. I have successfully repaired 11 of these computers

The most common ones I have repaired are the M15x and the M17x R1 / R2. I have not actually had an R3/R4 with this issue but the same solution would work in that case.

If you have this issue please feel free to contact me here. (I am not sure if the moderator of AlienwareOwners allows me to post my e-mail address if not please edit this post and remove it) you can also e-mail me at sitedude2k4 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy

DDuB420

Thanks for the informative post Jeremy. :cool:

The reason why you don't get R3/R4's is because Dell corrected this issue on all models made after October 2010.
If an AW laptop was made before then, this can happen.

sitedude

Makes Sense to me. I wonder if the Diag port on the m18x is in the same location as the M17x.

didohd6

Lights not working on M17R3

Thanks for the informative post Jeremy. :cool:

The reason why you don't get R3/R4's is because Dell corrected this issue on all models made after October 2010.
If an AW laptop was made before then, this can happen.

Thanks for the thread, very usefull.
Unfortunately my laptop is produced in Dec 2011 and i have same issue with the lights .... DELL didn't fix it very well.
I'll try to fix it with the debbuger and write the results.
In the folder with HEX files i found numbers 0514, 0518, 0520, 0521, 0522 - not sure which one to use
Any advice will be very appreciated.
Thanks