test

Severely underclocked GTX460M

JennyM

Hey all, So, after upgrading my Nvidia GTX260M to the GTX460M 1.5 Gb I had a week of fabulous gameplay & graphics were awesome, fps was a steady 60. Fans were running pretty hard. Suddenly game was unplayable, fps dropped to 8; dvd playback also choppy.

I checked GPU stats with TechPowerUp GPU-Z and discovered my GPU Core Clock was running at a constant 202MHz GPUmemory clock at 162, shader clock 405, GPU temp 42 C, memory used 120 MB.

On reading the sensor log history, the GPU core clock even drops to 50Mhz.

From scouring the internet I'm thinking the card is trying to protect itself by underclocking, Alienware tech guys are sending out a technician next week to put some paste somewhere in the housing (is that right?) Think they're replacing heatsink too, but I know from recent events that heatsink was checked & is fine.

So my question is why is this happening, my M15x is supposed to support this card, is there anything else you think should be upgraded in order for my system to cope with the card?

Processor - i7 Q720 1.6GHz
RAM 8 GB

Thanks,

Jenny :confused:

AeonSoul

It's probably throttling due to overheating. If it's that, a repaste job should fix that.

JennyM

Thats a relief, I wasn't sure that paste would make enough of a difference with temperature... thanks again aeon :)

JennyM

Tech guy replaced heatsink & paste, but he says temperature is not high, its just 60 - 64 degrees C which is normal, so why fans would be roaring at that temperature I'm not sure. The card is sometimes running at 569Mhz, but also still downclocking for long periods to 202Mhz, but now the fps stays normal at 45 - 60, thats with the graphics settings at high or good; So i'm wondering do these cards run normally at a low clock speed for some reason? Does anyone out there have a GTX460M and know what core speed their card runs at generally in gameplay?

Before the tech guy came yesterday I did a small render test using the TechPowerUp GPU-Z program, this seemed to reset the card problems & I was able to play games for the first time.

I'm stumped as to what the problem was, but hoping its fixed now. The tech guy wants me to run the card hard all weekend as he thinks it might be faulty, before Dell phone to check if the problem is solved.

Last edited:

MattyB

Good luck! I hope it's all fixed for you now. Don't know why the fans would be roaring at lowish temps. Maybe there is a faulty sensor somewhere that makes it think it's running hotter.

Looks like you'll have a busy weekend keeping that card busy. Better put on a pot of coffee and get comfy! :D

JennyM

I know! Gonna be hard work keeping the game running non-stop all weekend - xD (Yaaaaay!!)

Is it the card that tells the fans to speed up? Or is the sensor elsewhere?

MattyB

To be honest, I have no idea. I'm sure someone knowledgeable around here could answer that.

AeonSoul

There's a sensor on the card that monitors the temps and tells the fans when to spin at higher speed.

JennyM

lol! Aeon knows everything!

Well, fps down again this morning to 7, games unplayable, dvd's playing choppy again...so much for my weekend of heavy gaming! lol!

Alienware tech support guy said he'd have to talk to his supervisor about it & he'd phone me back 4 hours ago >.< I wish I knew the problem, I hate not knowing whats wrong before I phone them. I just hope they don't want my lappy sent off. Think I'll try phoning them again, might get someone different... :)

Maelstrom

lol! Aeon knows everything!

Well, fps down again this morning to 7, games unplayable, dvd's playing choppy again...so much for my weekend of heavy gaming! lol!

Alienware tech support guy said he'd have to talk to his supervisor about it & he'd phone me back 4 hours ago >.< I wish I knew the problem, I hate not knowing whats wrong before I phone them. I just hope they don't want my lappy sent off. Think I'll try phoning them again, might get someone different... :)

I don't know how to fix what ever is wrong. But you should be able to watch DVDs with the integrated graphics at least.

JennyM

Think I've solved the problem - at least temporarily, after reading extensively on other peoples similar problems with this card. One of the solutions suggested, was to open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management Mode - Change setting from Adaptive to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Clock speed instantly went back up to 569Mhz and stayed there.

Wondering if that means my card isn't faulty? Or is it still faulty & the above solution is just a way to prevent the card going into power conserve mode unnecessarily? At least I got a few hours playing world of warcraft! xD

JennyM

Nope, didn't fix it, lol! Tech guy coming out again to replace the card... pleeeeeeze let this fix the problem, I'm starting to feel like a jinx >.<

AeonSoul

Lol tech support guys must know you pretty well by now xD They gonna throw a party in your name for sure once you're done with all the fixing D:

JennyM

As long as I'm invited!! lol!
Got my new card in yesterday, still running at 202Mhz but now the framerate is staying high & games running smooth, so I think I'm all fixed... xD Again...xD Hopefully.... xD