Shipped & should arrive tomorrow.

Derek

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I have always wanted an Alienware, however i could never justify purchasing one as i used my desktop. Times have changed and I made the decision to go mobile. I have been patiently awaiting the arrival, 3 weeks to be exact. I just wanted to say Hello. Sometime tomorrow i may have some questions, Thanks in advance.

Derek

Thanks for the Welcomes, It has arrived and so far owner ship has been issue free, I did add a couple SSDs today, The only hiccup was it did not seem to work 100% with a couple of corsair GTS, replaced with kingston hyper x and no issues.

Sarah

Hey Derek, I hope you're enjoying your new machine :) I like the sound of the SSDs and memory upgrades. The 17 has tons of options for upgrading so hopefully you'll be gaming happily on it for the next few years at least :)

Derek

Question one, as for upgrading the Nvidia video driver, can i download off Nvidia's site or do i need to wait for Dell/Alienware to release a special one as for alot of other laptops. Also to install the new video driver I need to FN F5 , reboot and then install the nvidia driver ? just like was required when i installed the SSDs ?

Ochimo

Id be interested in that as well. I figure I can simply download the latest drivers from Nvidia. But since I don't have mine yet, I'll wait with baited breath to see what the community says.

Sarah

Guys, as far as I'm aware, you can only use the drivers from the Dell website. When I tried installing the latest drivers supplied direct from nVidia it said my video hardware was not compatible! I get the feeling also that nVidia's own driver installation programs fail to recognise some of their own mobile graphics chips!

MogRules

Yes you can install from nvidia ,don't wait for dell to release drivers or you will be waiting awhile :)

If its telling you your not compatible maybe your running on the integrated GPU and in that case it does not see the nvidia card.

MattyB

Staff member
Welcome!

I agree with MogRules. You should be able to download direct from NVidia now. There were issues to start with but hopefully they have been fixed in the more recent drivers. He is also right about the compatibility issue. If you're running Windows 8 you will not be able to install your NVidia driver if you are running on integrated graphics because it doesn't support Optimus.

Derek

Thanks for the answers. I just finished updating to the latest nvidia driver. Everything went without a hitch, This is how I did it.

Step 1 FN-F5 reboot.
Step 2 Install Driver, Custom, Disable the Geforce Experience, Click Clean Install. Install finish Reboot.
Step 3 After Reboot FN-F5 to go back to Intel Video Card. Reboot Again.
Step 4 After Reboot go into Device manager, Can see both cards, Select Nvidia Card select UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE.

The reasoning for STEP 4 - I found the nvidia card does not seem to work correctly until this step is done, Even though I installed in Forced Nvidia Mode. I found this even when replacing the harddrives with SSDs. Same issue. It almost seems as for optimus to work correctly something needs updated when both cards of visible to the computer.

Hopefully someone finds this post helpful, and any questions please ask.

Sarah

Hah, shows how little I know! ;) But this is great to know and I'll have to give this a go :)

spacebooger

welcome v:D

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

i used the nvidia experience program to isntall the 3.27 drivers

Derek

My Dell shipment contained one box, Inside the box was the laptop, ac adapter and package containing 2 disks.