test

Should i renew my warranty on my x51 R1

I see You

Hi all is it worth it to renew my warranty it is up next month this is the extended one i bought, so far what it has replaced since i got it was all the fans inside one of the side panels, and thats it. Do you think it would be worth or cost effective to renew it? or are parts pretty cheap for this model i would hate to waste money as i think its like 150 bucks or something.

sway

If your comp savvy then no I wouldn't waste my money. If you don't know anything beyond turning it on and a few minor things here and there, I prolly would. Parts aren't that expensive. Use that money towards a better gpu if you haven't upgraded yet, or better cpu.

tappin from the neXus 5

Ronan

Depends. Can he extend the warranty + upgrade his R1 via Dell/Alienware? If yes, then i would certainly do it.

If you can't get any upgrades via Dell/Alienware, then i would put those $150 toward upgrades and keep all my receipts and be ready to bite the bullet if original stuff starts to die (from my past experience, electronics like to die right after the warranty expires...).

I see You

Hmm true as well i already have a upgraded GPU but have not upgraded the cpu yet as i think its fast enough for me. This is the extended warranty i bought good till next months, i dont even know if they will extended it again but i can check. the inside of this thing looks pretty straight forward so i could replace a mainboard if needed.

Ronan

Hmm true as well i already have a upgraded GPU but have not upgraded the cpu yet as i think its fast enough for me. This is the extended warranty i bought good till next months, i dont even know if they will extended it again but i can check. the inside of this thing looks pretty straight forward so i could replace a mainboard if needed.

What i would check are prices of components and if they are available to non-warranty customers.

For example if the warranty extention is $150, and the mobo for your X51 is $300+, then your CPU is another $200, then it's a easy choice.

Now on the other hand if you can purchase a new mobo for less and it's better than what's in yours, then same thing for the CPU, then you are better off putting money on the side for upgrades.

The best choice, if it's even possible, would be to extend + buy upgrades directly from Dell so everything is under warranty by them.