should turbo boost be kept on or off??

Turbo boost doesn't effect heat at all! What you need to do is, re-paste your m14x. They have major heat dispersion issues! Get some thermal paste, check a guide on youtube on how to reach your cpu and gpu(which is hard, again, because of the design) and repaste you gpu and cpu. It WILL be worth it! Like, 20*C worth it! ^^ My temps dont go above 80*C anymore :D

Maelstrom

Feb 25, 2012
Alabama
It's not the processor you have to worry about overheating it's the gpu. That's what your seeing the temperature spikes for. One of the best ways I've found to keep it from overheating is simple to allow good air intake by raising the entire laptop. I've just got four of these block sort of things under each of the corners raising it about an inch off of my desk and I got temp drops by up to 10 C.

iwicked

Oct 5, 2012
Panama
i turned off turbo boost, temp dropped by 10 or so. there is no noticeable difference in performance. i also use a cooling pad to keep the gpu at around 50 - 60 max. Ive heard that if you don't use a cooling pad (why a gamer wouldn't i have no idea) elevating the rear of the laptop a little will lower temps as well