should turbo boost be kept on or off??

DecepticonZ9

well right now i have it off
but is it even worth overclocking?
when i play bf3 my laptop tends to hit cpu temp of 90 degrees C
i read before that turning off turbo boost can help bring that down, so thats why i turned it off

Dantheman221

Turbo boost doesn't effect heat at all! What you need to do is, re-paste your m14x. They have major heat dispersion issues! Get some thermal paste, check a guide on youtube on how to reach your cpu and gpu(which is hard, again, because of the design) and repaste you gpu and cpu. It WILL be worth it! Like, 20*C worth it! ^^ My temps dont go above 80*C anymore :D

Dantheman221

I think not. If what you are doing is benefiting your computer and not overclocking then, how would it void warranty? :) Well, i think it CAN void warranty but, whats the worst that can happen? Have you ever changed the paste by yourself?

Maelstrom

It's not the processor you have to worry about overheating it's the gpu. That's what your seeing the temperature spikes for. One of the best ways I've found to keep it from overheating is simple to allow good air intake by raising the entire laptop. I've just got four of these block sort of things under each of the corners raising it about an inch off of my desk and I got temp drops by up to 10 C.

DecepticonZ9

i have never done a repaste so im sorta nervous. but honestly how hard could it be
once i do the repaste, should i overclock the cpu?
but like i look at the options for overclocking them and i get really confused.
and i have my gpu overclocked and the tep doesnt spike to much

Dantheman221

You can't really oc the cpu :) You can just edit the multiplier, not much else. I'd OC a cpu. Your proc is more powerful then mine ^^

iwicked

i turned off turbo boost, temp dropped by 10 or so. there is no noticeable difference in performance. i also use a cooling pad to keep the gpu at around 50 - 60 max. Ive heard that if you don't use a cooling pad (why a gamer wouldn't i have no idea) elevating the rear of the laptop a little will lower temps as well

jacobberke

Shouldn't really effect your temps. Since your using your gpu for gaming. I keep mine on. Purchase a cooling pad to help with the temps.