SIM Card slot?

Commy1

Hey again, so I know this is more of a general question but I have an m14x so this is where I put up.

When you order your alienware, does the SIM card slot come already working, as in without some certain upgrade? (eg better Wifi card, etc.)
I read on a forum that it's completely useless in the UK because of their wireless/cellular network, but I'm from Canada and was wondering how it works.

I have an iPhone 3G(randpa) and just out of curiosity took the SIM card out and put into my machine. I have a 500megabyte monthly limit of which I am constantly well within. The card would barely even insert.. it was like there was nothing to catch onto. Also read that if you call Dell tech support about the SIM slot, they have nothing in their data base... (like most things -_-).

SO if anyone knows how this works I'd like to know, I think it's pretty sweet, much better than having a 'turbo stick' hanging out of your laptop.

dnvr.dsz

Even I Tried That & My SIM Card Fits Properly But I Don't See Any Thing Pop Up So I Think The Slot Is Dead...But I Guess We Have To Add Some WWAN Card & An Antenna To Get It Work

F33L

just get a usb adapter.. they are pretty cheap to free according to the plan..

kotex prosex

so what the point of the slot. I very interested in it as giffgaff has offer of unlimited internet for a reasonable price.

Maelstrom

I was told I had to go to a service provider to have the slot activated. I don't know if this is true or not though.

dnvr.dsz

I was told I had to go to a service provider to have the slot activated. I don't know if this is true or not though.
I Don't Think That Is Possible Cause Without The Antenna And A WWAN Card Even The Service Provider Cannot Do Anything, It'll Remain Dead Slot Until You Get One

Maelstrom

Mine came with an unactivated Sim card. does that count for anything? I'm not going to activate it though because it was for 3G from AT&T.

Maelstrom

Currently I don't think that mobile broadband is useful for full computers because of the amount of data it takes to load a full webpage vs. a mobile version. Also, you can't play games on a mobile connection (obviously) and all the connections I get are 1 bar or less (usually less). I don't have a plan but I got a free SIM card when I bought it (for teh lulz) and it's completely useless.

Mark

Hi, You cant use the sim from your iphone as its smaller than 'regular' sims. You have a micro sim. :)
Hey again, so I know this is more of a general question but I have an m14x so this is where I put up.

When you order your alienware, does the SIM card slot come already working, as in without some certain upgrade? (eg better Wifi card, etc.)
I read on a forum that it's completely useless in the UK because of their wireless/cellular network, but I'm from Canada and was wondering how it works.

I have an iPhone 3G(randpa) and just out of curiosity took the SIM card out and put into my machine. I have a 500megabyte monthly limit of which I am constantly well within. The card would barely even insert.. it was like there was nothing to catch onto. Also read that if you call Dell tech support about the SIM slot, they have nothing in their data base... (like most things -_-).

SO if anyone knows how this works I'd like to know, I think it's pretty sweet, much better than having a 'turbo stick' hanging out of your laptop.

nah even im like the rest mobile broadband is grayed out
and thanks to commy1 noticed this thread again which I totally had forgotten about
I'd be interested if someone can tell further on this

n13L5

Currently I don't think that mobile broadband is useful for full computers because of the amount of data it takes to load a full webpage vs. a mobile version. Also, you can't play games on a mobile connection (obviously) and all the connections I get are 1 bar or less (usually less). I don't have a plan but I got a free SIM card when I bought it (for teh lulz) and it's completely useless.
Speak for yourself...?

There are many, many places , where 3G, UMTS, HDPA, etc are the ONLY internet connection you get. I've played online games over 3G for over a year. One of my asian 3G plans was unlimited - though went down often in the country side ($20/month, one year contract) another allowed 1GigaByte daily download limit, costing $25 a month with no contract (it was a little harsh, as they didn't throttle you after the limit, but just cut you off from the DNS server - Skype would still run, if you were already logged in).

Download speeds were not bad at all, I downloaded multi-Gigabyte games and almost always used up my 1 GB daily limit :)

So, not useful..? Really, depends on what you're doing, where you are and who your provider is. If I'm in Los Angeles, sure, 3G is oddly less useful. But I do travel a lot, and for that, there isn't anything better than having a Gobi 2000 or other WWAN module inside your computer.

And tethering to your phone is NOT an alternative, cause SIM cards sold for phones and making phone calls, have much worse and more expensive offers for internet use. You want a separate SIM card for your computer, that was specifically sold for internet use.

I'm still trying to figure out if the M17x R4 has a SIM slot somewhere and only needs the GOBI mini-card installed. Only reason I even bothered to get an Alienware laptop is cause I'm not always staying in Los Angeles. If I was, I'd stick to my desktop, which can be upgraded and maintained at a fraction of the cost, and its less noisy to boot.