test

Some questions about X51 R3: drives, dual boot and graphic cards

derkomai

Hi,

I've been owning a fully loaded X51 R3 for the last 3 months, and I have some questions. I hope somebody can help me out here to solve them.

My machine is configured with a 250Gb SSD M.2 PCIe + 2TB HDD.

- The issue showed up when I tried to dual boot the machine. When I install Ubuntu or Elementary OS, no matter which version, installers only offer me the option to install to the hdd, but not to the ssd. If I customize my install with the "something more" option, I can select the ssd and everything goes OK, but when I reboot there's no sign of a Linux installation anywhere.
I've tried many times: I create the boot, root and swap partitions as I always do. But the strange thing is, when the installation ends and the machine is rebooted, Grub does not show up and Windows is loaded instead. Furthermore, sometimes I can't see the new partitions from Windows partition manager.

- Is there any way so I can add another SSD to the machine without taking out the existing drives? In the case I can't make the dual boot work, this is the only solution I've came up with, but it seems there's no room for an extra SSD drive.

- Can this machine handle a GTX 970 without using the graphics amplifier? Is the 330W power supply enough? What about the GTX 980?

Thank you in advance.

Dan.J

Not sure about your drive/dual boot issues. Yes the right size GTX 970 will work great in the X51 R3 without mods and the GTX 980 some guys are able to use without issue with some minor mods to make room for it. I personally just run a 980TI in the graphics amp which works well for me.

flowerdealer

If you have the non-water cooled version you should be able to fit an extra SSD on top of the optical drive.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I have the water-cooled version with no optical drive, so it's not possible that way.

The only other way is 2 x 2.5" drives in place of the 3.5" drive. Or if you could make something to hold it in the area where the optical would be. There is plenty of room for an SSD in that area. Probably could use these to stick to the inside of the cover.

20160118_164232.jpg

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Attached to the inside of the side panel is your best bet if you don't want to swap the 3.5" for 2 x 2.5" drives.
Plenty of room!

20160118_164743.jpg

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Yeah, I thought about that. Seems like a reasonable idea. May be I'll give it a try. Do you think that will affect the machine someway so it will overheat?

Not at all. The only reason the CD/DVD rom drive isn't there is because it wouldn't fit with the LC cooler. If you really want to get creative, you could make an L bracket that will hold a drive caddy exactly where I have the SSD in my pic above. This way you are not dealing with more cables when you take off the cover.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
You could always put this in. You would only be able to use 3 drives since the MB only has 3 SATA.

4x.jpg

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
You actually could use 4 x m.2 SSD drives. 3 would go directly to the 3 SATA ports and I just now saw that there is an unused internal USB header on the MB. One drive can use a SATA to USB header cable. That would be fine for a storage drive. If it's a USB 3 header the speeds will be better. So technically you could max out with 5 SSD drives total. :)

I may buy that and re-do my system. :)

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
If you replace the wifi card with a m.2 2230 SSD then you could have 6 SSDs. Oh my the possibilities. ;)

kbl

I have identical hw as you do. I am running ubuntu 14.04 without problem.

**** BIOS problem::
If your computer reboots directly into Windows, try to change the boot order in
your BIOS.
If your BIOS does not allow to change the boot order, change the default boot
entry of the Windows bootloader.

For example you can boot into Windows, then type the following command in an
admin command prompt:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

**** To fix grub, use boot-repair:
help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

(kbl) After install, boot again using your install-usb, then do the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair