Soon to be X51 owner (my first Alienware product)

Hi all.

Have ordered the Alienware X51 with i7 6700, 16gb ram, GeForce 960, 2tb HDD and 256 SSD before the end of year sales concluded.

Have done my research and found the X51 to be the best pc for my purposes. I have very limited space and could not have anything more than 10cm in width (this happens other than all in one pcs to be the only pc I could find that meets this criteria). An optical drive which was a must and the model I chose has it. Good overall specs with a graphics card that is ideal for my purposes as a casual gamer who plays mostly older games and in the most part relatively less graphically demanding games, while still being able to play newer and more graphically demanding games as required. The overall pricing also caught me by surprise being an Alienware and was priced much the same as other pre-built systems which I wasn't expecting as I always imagined that there would be a large price premium associated with Alienware products. So given the pricing was acceptable enough and the X51 offers me the small size, optical drive with the features I want, that's what made me go for it as really the default choice. I also don't have the skills, time, confidence or no how to buy and then install custom parts such as an SSD, a different graphics card etc so I wanted it all put together as a final product and as an only casual gamer who plays nothing super graphically demanding, and not having the space it is fair to say the graphics amp was never a consideration.

The X51 I have been informed will be arriving around the 11th January so very excited to get stuck into it on arrival! Will be much better than my 12 year old Pentium 4 which freezes up any time I play a game or watch a video I'm sure!

I may also if the X51 lives up to my expectations some time in the next year once the Pascal cards are released look to upgrade my soon to be 6 year old daily use/desktop replacement (Samsung R580 - which has been sensational and is still going strong) to an Alienware 15, or if it holds up long enough plausibly an Alienware 15 with the Volta cards if they're not too far away. I just hope when the Pascal/Volta cards are introduced into the Alienware 15 that the screen brightness is increased to 300 nits or higher for the 1080p model (or something like 400 nits if 4k is the standard by then) and that the screen quality improves to at least the quality of the Alienware 15 r1, or otherwise I'll be buying a Metabox, MSI or Gigabyte instead as the screen on the current model is a deal breaker with the whites looking grey which when word processing or web browsing is not at all nice to look at and not acceptable for what I'd expect to be a premium laptop given the price tag. I'd also prefer the option to have an optical drive if I so choose even if it means less battery life. But I guess I'll make a decision on all that when that times comes and go with the best value proposition and the laptop that best fits my needs then.

Welcome to AWO. My new X51 should be here about the same time. Sucks waiting! LOL

I am very eagerly anticipating the arrival of the X51 and just hoping it's all easy to set up with internet, printers etc and all working well.

What Alienware laptops or desktops have you had experience with in the past? You've I can only imagine had positive experiences given you're coming back for more!

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I had an M17xR1 for a short while then the first X51. Now waiting for the X51R3. I'm looking to play DayZ and GTA V online with it.

Galleon

Mine is supposed to be here by Feb 1st! First AW product for me as well, was toying with the idea of building my own again, but with the current sale as well as an additional discount by a Dell Chat agent it just didn't make as much money sense.

QuantityItem NumberDescription
1 210-AGQP Alienware X51 R3 Standard Base
1 370-ACFJ 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
1 400-AJEI 256GB M.2 SSD + 2TB 7,200RPM
1 490-BCNI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 2GB GDDR5
1 555-BCJN Intel(R) 3165 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth
1 555-BCNM Intel Wireless 3165/7265 Driver (except SAF/ISR)
1 619-AHCY Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 257-BBEB MOD,LBL,REG,330W,X51R3,FSJ
1 321-BBTW Alienware X51 R3 Chassis Liquid Cooled without Optical Drive
1 338-BHVJ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K (8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz)
1 450-AAKK 330W A/C Adapter

I am curious as to whether it will actually hit 4.4ghz. Also, the power supply is really lame on these computers but it will work for me as I don't have time for modding etc.

Oh, and I'm also getting the Philips BDM4065UC/27 40IN 4K delivered tomorrow! I can't wait, if you could see the setup I've been using for the last 2 years you would laugh at the comparison!

Mine is supposed to be here by Feb 1st! First AW product for me as well, was toying with the idea of building my own again, but with the current sale as well as an additional discount by a Dell Chat agent it just didn't make as much money sense.

QuantityItem NumberDescription
1 210-AGQP Alienware X51 R3 Standard Base
1 370-ACFJ 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
1 400-AJEI 256GB M.2 SSD + 2TB 7,200RPM
1 490-BCNI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 2GB GDDR5
1 555-BCJN Intel(R) 3165 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth
1 555-BCNM Intel Wireless 3165/7265 Driver (except SAF/ISR)
1 619-AHCY Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 257-BBEB MOD,LBL,REG,330W,X51R3,FSJ
1 321-BBTW Alienware X51 R3 Chassis Liquid Cooled without Optical Drive
1 338-BHVJ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K (8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz)
1 450-AAKK 330W A/C Adapter

I am curious as to whether it will actually hit 4.4ghz. Also, the power supply is really lame on these computers but it will work for me as I don't have time for modding etc.

Oh, and I'm also getting the Philips BDM4065UC/27 40IN 4K delivered tomorrow! I can't wait, if you could see the setup I've been using for the last 2 years you would laugh at the comparison!

I'm certainly enjoying it.

All working well on my end as advertised.

Windows 10 and the lack of backward compatibility for a lot of the games I want to play (old and even some I would have thought would be new enough) and Office 2016 (purchased separately) with Outlook 2016 not yet working in Australia are my only frustrations that come to mind at this early stage.