test

SSD boot drive with Windows 8 query

Sarah

Hi. I ordered a new Alienware 17 last week and specified it with the 256GB boot drive + 750GB hard drive option. I also opted for Windows 8 Pro because I've been using it on a daily basis since April at work and quite like it so I thought the time was right to take the plunge with it at home. However, I have now been hearing some strong rumours on the internet that vendors have been having issues installing 8 onto SSD drives, including Dell and Alienware. Some people have reported that Alienware do not even have an SSD image with Windows 8 yet and that orders are still stuck at pre-production weeks after they've been placed. My order has been "in production" since Wednesday and has an EDD of 7/31 but obviously, I'm worried that a computer I'm paying over £2000 for cannot yet be built. So I'm wondering if anyone else on here has heard any truth in these rumours or if anyone has ordered Windows 8 on the SSD boot drive option and actually received their machine yet. I will be mightily peed off if this laptop takes months to be delivered because Dell has screwed up...

Falcon

Hi. I ordered a new Alienware 17 last week and specified it with the 256GB boot drive + 750GB hard drive option. I also opted for Windows 8 Pro because I've been using it on a daily basis since April at work and quite like it so I thought the time was right to take the plunge with it at home. However, I have now been hearing some strong rumours on the internet that vendors have been having issues installing 8 onto SSD drives, including Dell and Alienware. Some people have reported that Alienware do not even have an SSD image with Windows 8 yet and that orders are still stuck at pre-production weeks after they've been placed. My order has been "in production" since Wednesday and has an EDD of 7/31 but obviously, I'm worried that a computer I'm paying over £2000 for cannot yet be built. So I'm wondering if anyone else on here has heard any truth in these rumours or if anyone has ordered Windows 8 on the SSD boot drive option and actually received their machine yet. I will be mightily peed off if this laptop takes months to be delivered because Dell has screwed up...

Hello Sarah. Well I personally havent bought one but as far as I know there are issues wrt partitioning SSD 'cause they aren't traditional disk drives (Google about SSD partitioning - might be handy for you later). Also as you might have been aware of the fact that OS recovery need additional partition which I think need not be in SSD per se. I assume the OS recovery image might be installed in HDD (which in your case 750GB) future purpose.
With regards to rumors, I don't believe 'cause I have seen many videos till today which have featured Win8.
So be cool and don't bother about the delivery. Delivery might be delayed due to lot of demand in orders whenever new product enters the market. Its worth the wait. :cool:

Sarah

Thanks Falcon, you are right so I'll give it a few days and see if the order ships out by Friday. If it doesn't then I will think about calling Dell customer support UK. The only issue I have with doing that is that I'll just get the corporate response and as my computer will be built in the US and I live in England it'll be almost impossible to ascertain where my machine is really at without contacting Dell or Alienware in the US directly :( Calling Alienware in the US will be difficult for me I think due to the time zone difference! I know nothing about solid state drives aside from the fact they are fast and expensive. It never even occurred to me that there'd be any potential issues as you should be able to trust a huge company such as Dell to get it right. But I'm cool. And if all else fails then I still have the option of calling my credit card company and asking them to cancel the payment! I just want my machine as I have paid a lot for it and have plans with it.

Falcon

Thanks Falcon, you are right so I'll give it a few days and see if the order ships out by Friday. If it doesn't then I will think about calling Dell customer support UK. The only issue I have with doing that is that I'll just get the corporate response and as my computer will be built in the US and I live in England it'll be almost impossible to ascertain where my machine is really at without contacting Dell or Alienware in the US directly :( Calling Alienware in the US will be difficult for me I think due to the time zone difference! I know nothing about solid state drives aside from the fact they are fast and expensive. It never even occurred to me that there'd be any potential issues as you should be able to trust a huge company such as Dell to get it right. But I'm cool. And if all else fails then I still have the option of calling my credit card company and asking them to cancel the payment! I just want my machine as I have paid a lot for it and have plans with it.

"Calling my credit card company to cancel payment" - that's a killer idea. LOL.
Well you can have a online chat support which you can do from any where but you need a service tag (you can use old ones or ur friends service tag). They can clear your tech related issues (but not order related ones. Keep posting.

Sarah

I have an XPS 15 laptop at the moment which is my 5th Dell so I'd hope they'd identify me! :) I think the real issue here is that this waiting around is getting to me! I have Crysis 3 which my afore mentioned XPS struggles with and I want to build a virtualised sharepoint 2010 environment with VMware. This Alienware will have the power to do all of this stuff because as well as being a great gaming machine it is also has the grunt of a server in the eyes of an IT professional (such as myself) :)

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

YES YES YES! Forget everything I said on this post yesterday. I just checked my order status and in the last half hour it has moved to "shipped". I am feeling very very happy now indeed :) Falcon, you were right :)