test

Ssd drive ,, please help

Sleepy

Please can any of you guys offer me some guidance on what ssd drive to fit to my m18x when it arrives ?

I have decided to buy it my self and get it fitted and my local computer shop and I'm looking fir something around £100 I would like to have Operating system and my games on it ( I think ) to make it all run faster and just keep the HDD for saving important stuff to , I was thinking the 120gb would be big enough for what I need ,, but I really have no clue if that is right ?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

AeonSoul

If you're budget is 100£, which I assume is something above 100€, you could look either for a Samsung 830 or for a Crucial M4. Keep in mind tho that the 830 series is kinda outdated, since the 840 is out now. Anyhow you could just link us here some options and we can go though them with you and check what works better for you.

yikes81

I personally install a ton of things other than the base OS. All my utilities, games, general apps.
128GB would be too small for me. 256 would have to be a minimum. 512 is preferable.
But prices are so expensive. I ended up with the hybrid.

Mr. Fox

Yeah, 128GB is just too small. I have two 240GB SSD in RAID0 for 480GB of drive space and that's too small, LOL. I have 767GB of data files and games on my 1TB HDD. Buy the largest you can afford, Sleepy. Or, two smaller ones and RAID0 them if the pricing works out more favorably that way. When you install programs choose the advanced options and manually select a location on your larger data drive. You can have both a "C:\Program Files" and a "D:\Program Files" directory at the same time and it works fine.

Shadowspike

Lol go in for the latest 2tb ssd in the market
ITs bout to release soon but u migt just have to sell ure and my house to afford it atm lol

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I never been a big fan of RAID'ing SSDs. On paper the numbers are fantastic, but seeing the boost is minimal vs the risk of Raid 0. Of course this is just my personal opinion. :)

Finding a new Samsung 830 SSD in higher capacities will take some searching as most retailers blew them out at discounted prices a few months ago when the 840/840 Pro got released.

I currently have a 256GB 840 Pro, 256GB 830, and a 128GB 810 mSATA installed in my M6600, with room for one more drive in the CD-Rom drive bay if I get the drive caddy. I think the new M6700 allows you to get the 4th drive when you BTO now.

The only reason why I didn't get the M18x is that I wanted a dock port and a non-glossy IPS display. I hope they at least add a non-glossy IPS display on the next revision.

Mr. Fox

As some of you know, I recently purchased parts to upgrade my M18x R1 to an M18x R2. The final touch was adding mSATA SSD. With my BluRay burner moved to an eSATAp slot-load enclosure, I now have 4 SSD plus a 1TB HDD installed in the chassis!

Here is the down and dirty photo tutorial for adding the mSATA components... A few of the photo descriptions are too long to view in the slide show. Mouse over the blue text under those photos to read the description in a pop-up dialog box.

Click the first image for a slide show with more images. This forum software would not let me insert the slide show.

I will be looking for a M18x R2 chassis to mount the mSATA SSD in the appropriate spot, but this is working fine for now.

I have Windows 8 installed to one SATA2 3.0GB/s SSD RAID0 membership, Windows 7 is installed to the SATA3 6.0GB/s SSD RAID0 membership, and the 1TB HDD for data is in the optical bay caddy.

Last edited:

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Great info as always Mr. Fox. Thanks for posting it! About slideshows, I do not think vBulletin has such a feature. Does NBR have it?