SSD hard drive

AeonSoul

Does anyone who had a normal hard drive tried and successfully updated the m17x r3 with a SSD hard drive?
If so, what drive you got? How did you do that? I'd like some info please :D

AeonSoul

Bumpty bump.
I'm currently trying to figure out these key points:
1. if m17x r3 supports SSDs SATA III or just SATA II.
2. if it would be better to leave the current HDD in bay 0 (which is where I suppose it is, didn't opened my AW yet) and install the SSD in bay 1, and what could the differences be.
3. what SSD to buy.

Anyone who can give some infos about these points? :D

AeonSoul

Bumpty bump.
I'm currently trying to figure out these key points:
1. if m17x r3 supports SSDs SATA III or just SATA II.
2. if it would be better to leave the current HDD in bay 0 (which is where I suppose it is, didn't opened my AW yet) and install the SSD in bay 1, and what could the differences be.
3. what SSD to buy.

Anyone who can give some infos about these points? :D
I'm answer myself to some of these questions, just in case someone else is interested.

1. m17x r3 DOES support SATA III, however reading around I've found out that people have issues with bay 0 which sometimes drops to SATA II, whilst bay 1 keeps SATA III steady. Prob is, with firmware revision A09 Dell killed SATA III compatibility, so if you want to run a SATA III SSD you need to downgrade at least to revision A08. This operations shouldn't arise any issues, however I've no tried it myself so I'm not sure about it.
2. in case of firmware downgrade the answer to this is above.
3. still idk what to buy here, althrough I've kinda narrowed it down to OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, Intel 510 and Crucial M4.

If someone else has anything to add please do.

MattyB

Let me know how you go because I will be wanting to do this soon as well I think.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
Don't count out the Samsung 830 series SSD. Their drive software/firmware tools is the best that I have used. I have or had the Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 2 & 3, Intel 320 series, and a Corsair Performance series SSD. I would recommend the the Samsung.

AeonSoul

I'll look into that, thanks Tommy.
Anyhow, I decided to delay this 'till June/July, after I graduate, since I use my laptop at work now and I need it to be working everyday :D
In the meanwhile I'll dive into the knowledge a bit more.

ninjaedit: Tommy the Samsug 830 series goes under model number MZ-7PC(128/256/512)N for notebooks right? Can you confirm this?

Last edited:

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
They are MZ-7PC(128/256/512). The N just designates that includes a Laptop install kit. (comes with Norton Ghost & SATA to USB cable)

AeonSoul

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification!
Now I just have to decide which one to buy and I dive deep into benchmarks and get my head full of things I don't properly understand :D

calric

i was thinking about doing the same thing at some point, so any information you come across please let me know also :D

It would be nice to have something to reference to when planing on upgrading.

AeonSoul

Well considering that in a local store I came across a Samsung 830 512gb at ~370 €, which I guess is kind of a killer price considering that online they sell them to 500+ €, I guess I'll upgrade sooner than expected.
I'm going to buy the SSD tomorrow or the day after probably, I'll keep you posted.

AeonSoul

Nevermind, the one at 370 is the 256gb one, the 512gb is 700 euros ._.
Guess it's back to plan one and delayed back to July!

MattyB

They will have to come down sooner or later. Hopefully sooner because its ridiculous at the moment!

AeonSoul

I've read an article that said that the price could drop some weeks ago, but so far no news about it.
Anyhow, I'm still gathering infos, but so far I'm probably going for a Crucial m4. Probably not the 128gb one as I planned initially, but I'll take a 256gb. Decisions, decisions.

AeonSoul

I'm going to ask it here aswell, maybe Frank or someone else from the AW crew can answer me: will downgrading the bios (of the mobo I suppose) from A09 to A08 void my warranty?

MattyB

Just ordered a Corsair Force Series GT 240GB SSD! I will have a go at installing it next week and let you know how I go. Did you decide to get one yet?

AeonSoul

Yes I got my eyes set on a Cruacial m4, but I was busy these weeks so I didn't really had time to order it, let alone install it :s
But I will be doing that soon I hope.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
I read something last week that there was a recall on the Force drives due to a defect.

MattyB

That sounds about right. Trust me to order something defective! :p I guess I had better look into it and maybe cancel my order. Would the Crucial M4 that AeonSoul is getting be pretty much the same?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
I've had the Crucial M4, a Corsair P128, OCZ Vertex 2 & Vertex 3 and now Samsung 830 256GB. If it were me, I'd go with the Samsung 830 series. Their drive tools are much better IMO and they use their own controller which to me is better quality control.

MattyB

Sounds like I should have asked you earlier. Oh well, lesson learned. Have you seen that Youtube video where they hook like 24 Samsung SSD's together? Pretty crazy stuff! (I think it was Samsung)