SSD hard drive

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
Bumpty bump.
I'm currently trying to figure out these key points:
1. if m17x r3 supports SSDs SATA III or just SATA II.
2. if it would be better to leave the current HDD in bay 0 (which is where I suppose it is, didn't opened my AW yet) and install the SSD in bay 1, and what could the differences be.
3. what SSD to buy.

Anyone who can give some infos about these points? :D

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
Bumpty bump.
I'm currently trying to figure out these key points:
1. if m17x r3 supports SSDs SATA III or just SATA II.
2. if it would be better to leave the current HDD in bay 0 (which is where I suppose it is, didn't opened my AW yet) and install the SSD in bay 1, and what could the differences be.
3. what SSD to buy.

Anyone who can give some infos about these points? :D

I'm answer myself to some of these questions, just in case someone else is interested.

1. m17x r3 DOES support SATA III, however reading around I've found out that people have issues with bay 0 which sometimes drops to SATA II, whilst bay 1 keeps SATA III steady. Prob is, with firmware revision A09 Dell killed SATA III compatibility, so if you want to run a SATA III SSD you need to downgrade at least to revision A08. This operations shouldn't arise any issues, however I've no tried it myself so I'm not sure about it.
2. in case of firmware downgrade the answer to this is above.
3. still idk what to buy here, althrough I've kinda narrowed it down to OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, Intel 510 and Crucial M4.

If someone else has anything to add please do.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Feb 2, 2012
Don't count out the Samsung 830 series SSD. Their drive software/firmware tools is the best that I have used. I have or had the Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 2 & 3, Intel 320 series, and a Corsair Performance series SSD. I would recommend the the Samsung.

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
I'll look into that, thanks Tommy.
Anyhow, I decided to delay this 'till June/July, after I graduate, since I use my laptop at work now and I need it to be working everyday :D
In the meanwhile I'll dive into the knowledge a bit more.

ninjaedit: Tommy the Samsug 830 series goes under model number MZ-7PC(128/256/512)N for notebooks right? Can you confirm this?

Last edited:

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
Well considering that in a local store I came across a Samsung 830 512gb at ~370 €, which I guess is kind of a killer price considering that online they sell them to 500+ €, I guess I'll upgrade sooner than expected.
I'm going to buy the SSD tomorrow or the day after probably, I'll keep you posted.

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
I've read an article that said that the price could drop some weeks ago, but so far no news about it.
Anyhow, I'm still gathering infos, but so far I'm probably going for a Crucial m4. Probably not the 128gb one as I planned initially, but I'll take a 256gb. Decisions, decisions.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Feb 2, 2012
I've had the Crucial M4, a Corsair P128, OCZ Vertex 2 & Vertex 3 and now Samsung 830 256GB. If it were me, I'd go with the Samsung 830 series. Their drive tools are much better IMO and they use their own controller which to me is better quality control.